Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion elite
Hello so i have a hp pavilion elite e9000 8 gb ram, 512mb graphics . So, 2 days ago i upgraded to windows 10 and none of the drivers were there, cool, so i downloaded my wifi driver on my phone and transfered it, now that i had wifi i could update everything . So i let it all update and do its thing . So now yestersay when i woke up niether of my hard drives are being detected and the bios screen takes forever . As of now its frozen on "mediashield rom bios 10.0.0.38 rpt copyright 2009 nvidia corp. Detecting storage devices..." and its been this way for 20 mins . It also wont allow me to go into setup because when i hit f10 it just goes to the screen im stuck on . Ive tried unplugging everything. Taking cmos battery out, checked the ram, checked the psu. And just bought a new hard drive and that wasnt detected either(waste of 50 bucks)
11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended
Update, so i reset cmos manually and it seems like my bios is quicker, now when trying to install windows im stuck on a black screen with a blinking curser? Any ideas?
HP Recommended

@Northterror

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

This is a great place to get support, find answers to your technical queries.

I understand the after updating to Windows 10, PC is booting up to BIOS but you have a blank screen with a blinking cursor, need to worry I'll be glad to assist you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

From where are you trying to Install the operating system? (Are you using the original recovery media for this computer or the retail version of Windows)

In the meanwhile, Hardware Quick test following the below instruction.

Use the following steps to open the Component Tests menu.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3. On the main menu, click Component Tests.

Figure : Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

Selecting Component Tests from the main menu
  4. The Component Tests menu displays.

Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.

Figure : Sample list of Component Tests

Sample List of the Component tests

There are six hard drive tests. If you think there is a problem with the hard drive, first try the Quick Test (2 to 3 minutes). If the Quick Test does not find a problem, run the Extensive Test (2 hours or more) which also has a Loop Until Error option.

Follow these steps to run the Hard Drive Quick Test:

1. In the Component Tests menu, click Hard Drive, and then click Quick Test.

Figure : Selecting the Hard Drive Quick Test

Selecting the Hard Drive Quick Test
  2. Click Run Once.

Figure : Running the Hard Drive Quick Test

Hard Drive Quick Test - Run once

If the Quick test passes, please run the extensive test as well and let me know the result.

Then, Disable secure boot

Disable Secure Boot on desktop computers

You might want to disable Secure Boot in order to install new hardware or boot from a CD or DVD. Follow these steps to disable Secure Boot:

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press F10 repeatedly, about once every second, until the Computer Setup Utility opens.

3. Use the left and right arrow keys to select the Security menu, use the up and down arrow keys to select Secure Boot Configuration, and then press Enter.

Secure Boot Configuration selection in the Security window

4. The Secure Boot Configuration warning displays. Press F10 to continue.

Secure Boot Configuration window

5. Use the up and down arrow keys to select Secure Boot, and then use the left and right arrow keys to change the setting to Disable.

Secure Boot Configuration window

6. Use the up and down arrow keys to select Legacy Support, and then use the left and right arrow keys to change the setting to Enable.

7. Press F10 to accept the changes.

8. Press F10 again, and then press Enter twice to restart the computer.

Save Changes and Exit selection

9. As soon as the computer starts, a message displays indicating that the boot mode has changed.

Boot mode change message

10. Type the four-digit code displayed in the message, and then press Enter to confirm the change.

NOTE:

No text field displays for the code. This is expected behavior. When you type the numbers, the code is logged without a text field.

Then, once again try installing the Windows.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

Do get back to me as I have a few more tricks up my sleeve, 

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution

And Have a great day Ahead!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended
Hey thank you but i dont have the opiton to boot in and out of legacy mode . If i knew how to post pictures i would show you the bios im working with. In my setup it follows as
Bios revision 07/02/09
Core verision 08.00.15
Model number e9120y
If that helps for anymore info, after doing alot of digging im starting to this that when i left it to update a bios update mightve failed but i have no idea how exactly to restore the bios
HP Recommended
Oh and also im using a retail version of windows 10 trying to install through usb
HP Recommended

Your "vintage" computer: HP Pavilion Elite e9120y Desktop PC Product Specifications

Product number: KY811AA
Release date: 30-Apr-2009
Country/region sold in: United States

Software and driver results for: HP Pavilion Elite e9120y Desktop PC

lists: 

M2N78-LA Motherboard BIOS Update

Version: 5.08
Release date: Jul 21, 2010
File name:  sp46427.exe (1.7 MB)
https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software11/COL34566/pv-85559-1/sp46427.exe

Description:

M2N78-LA Motherboard BIOS update resolves an issue with the system hanging and displaying a blank screen after a restart.

Does this description match your symptoms?

I hope that your 2009-vintage computer is compatible with Windows 10 (released in 2015).

It is good that you tried to replace a NINE-year-old disk-drive by something newer.

HP Recommended
Yes that sounds about right except im not even reading and harddrives in the bios setup, ive put windows 10 on older comps then this one . Ive also tried using windows 7 on this one with the same issue
HP Recommended
Still no luck, came to the conclusion that i need to repair bios, does anyone know how i would be able to do that?
HP Recommended

From: HP Pavilion Elite e9120y Desktop PC Product Specifications

Software

Titles that shipped with PC

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium with Windows Media Center (64-bit) with Vista Service Pack 1

Can you reconnect the old disk-drive, and try to install the original operating system?

Does it at least "start" to install?

Or, for free, download and try to install the UBUNTU variant of Linux, to see if it's possible to install *any* operating system?

HP Recommended
Its still not detecting any hard drives when 2 of them are brand new. Qhile trying to install windows i get as far as the black screen with a blinking curser . The when i start it up with the usb in i get the no bootable device thing
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.