Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8200 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a HP Elite 8200 SFF desktop computer (serial number CZC1528CC5S) and I've just bought  one Hyper-X 16GB RAM kit (https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX318LC11FBK2_16.pdf). 

Now, I know that older systems default to 1333, but the frequency of this RAM is 1866 CL11 @ 1.35V and I haven't been able to find a setting in BIOS that targets RAM configuration - does anyone know how can I increase the frequency?

BIOS is J01 v02.06

Thanks,

Vlad

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The fastest the memory will run with the processor and chipset your PC has, is 1333 MHz.

That is because the processor and chipset FSB speeds max out at 1333 MHz.

In order for the memory to run faster (say at 1600 MHz), you have to have the hardware to support it, which the 8200 Elite does not.

You need a PC with a 3rd gen core processor and an Intel series 7 chipset for memory to run at 1600 MHz.

So, if you were to install PC3-12800 memory in an 8200 Elite, no matter what, it is only going to run at 1333 MHz.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The fastest the memory will run with the processor and chipset your PC has, is 1333 MHz.

That is because the processor and chipset FSB speeds max out at 1333 MHz.

In order for the memory to run faster (say at 1600 MHz), you have to have the hardware to support it, which the 8200 Elite does not.

You need a PC with a 3rd gen core processor and an Intel series 7 chipset for memory to run at 1600 MHz.

So, if you were to install PC3-12800 memory in an 8200 Elite, no matter what, it is only going to run at 1333 MHz.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. Will there be a problem if I run the 1866 MHz RAM sticks @ 1333?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If they are working in there now, there will be no problem.

I didn't think that PC could run 1.35V memory.

If it is working, the memory you have is capable of downclocking to 1333 MHz as well as running at 1.5V.

HP Recommended

Yea, it seems to be running just fine for the moment. The Crucial compatibility checker website recommended these RAM settings and I thought they'd know better - should've trusted the official documentation instead 🙂

Anyway, glad it works as is. Thanks for your help once more.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

They probably recommended that memory because it might be less expensive than buying PC3-10600 memory nowadays.

I have 32 GB of memory in my 8200 Elite CMT.

I bought the PC3-10600 at the time as it was the fastest available in 2011 when I got the machine.

But yes, you could run into compatibility issues from time to time.

The good news for you is it worked right from the get-go, and will continue to do so.

You can also transfer that memory to another (newer) PC that can actually run it at it's default speed.

So, you did good.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.