• post a message
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Checking media Presence/media present/start PXE over IPv6

Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
I turned my computer on this morning (hp Pavilion 20) All in one desktop and it says: Checking media presence.....media present.....start PXE over IPv6. Then it goes to a screen that says: ERROR: no boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed. Help!!!!!
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
22,484 22,139 2,557 8,592
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@pammom2, welcome to the forum.

The first thing that you should do is test your hard drive using SMART from the BiOS.  Here is a guide that will help you.

Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory ( 32 GB ); MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

I am not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> start PXE over IPv6

That is "start the P(re) e(X)ecution E(nvironment) over I(nternet) P(rotocol) V(ersion) 6".

In some "corporate" environments, a computer can boot over the network connection, by connecting to a "boot-server".

In the "home" environment, it means that the computer tried to boot from disk-drive & CD/DVD drive & floppy-drive & USB stick.  Finding nothing "bootable" at each of those locations, it tried the "network boot".

The "Other Person" is correct -- your disk-drive either:

* has no electrical power, and thus cannot be accessed;

* is not connected via the "data" cable to the motherboard (check at both ends of the SATA cable);

* is "dead" (not spinning);

* has a corrupted file-system, such that the "boot" files can no longer be found.

If you want to peek inside your (desktop?) computer, with the power off, and the power-cable disconnected, just touch the disk-drive -- if it is not "warm", i.e,. above room-temperature, it has not been spinning (and generating some heat).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have this message appear every time I boot up.  It delays the start but it does boot up fine.

I have read the forum and every inquiry has a different suggestion to solve the problem.

I have a new HP 570-p017c PC, less than 30 days old.  It is a refurbished model so there must be previous problems.

Noww what?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I have this message appear every time I boot up.  It delays the start but it does boot up fine.

> Every inquiry has a different suggestion to solve the problem

Here's another suggestion.  Sometimes, free advice is worth exactly what you have paid for it.

Your motherboard can "boot" from several sources:

1. CD/DVD

2. disk-drive

3. USB memory-stick

4. network, using the PXE (Pre eXecution Environment)

Enter BIOS SETUP, and change the "order" of checking the above boot devices.

Move the 'disk-drive' to the top of the list, and move 'PXE' to the bottom of the list.

-----------------

Forum Rules of Participation:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage

2.  ... If you have a new question, start a new thread rather than interrupting a conversation

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm having a problem with my computer my computer is saying that no disc found and I have a error it will not come on anyone else having the problem no disc error what do that mean
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks everyone for your help! Unfortunately it’s the same as it was last February and nothing seems to work.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

camillia46  wrote:

> my computer is saying that no disc found and I have a error

> it will not come on

> anyone else having the problem no disc error

> what do that mean 

It means that the disk-drive is "dead".

Therefore, the motherboard cannot read any files from the disk-drive.

Having this "error" mean that Windows cannot be loaded from the disk-drive.

Take your computer to a qualified computer-technician, to replace the disk-drive with something compatible, and to reinstall Windows onto the new disk-drive, to restore your computer to a working condition.

Or, if you have the technical skills, you can replace and reinstall yourself.

Your choice ? :Wink:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> Unfortunately it’s the same as it was last February.

> nothing seems to work. 

Do you mean that nothing that you have tried has fixed the problem, or that the computer still is not working?

In some "corporate" environments, a computer can boot over the network connection, by connecting to a "boot-server".

In the "home" environment, it means that the computer tried to boot from disk-drive & CD/DVD drive & floppy-drive & USB stick.  Finding nothing "bootable" at each of those locations, it tried the "network boot".

The "Other Person" is correct -- your disk-drive either:

* has no electrical power, and thus cannot be accessed;

* is not connected via the "data" cable to the motherboard (check at both ends of the SATA cable);

* is "dead" (not spinning);

* has a corrupted file-system, such that the "boot" files can no longer be found.

If you want to peek inside your (desktop?) computer, with the power off, and the power-cable disconnected, just touch the disk-drive -- if it is not "warm", i.e,. above room-temperature, it has not been spinning (and generating some heat).

Your only remedy is to take the computer to a quailfied technician, for replacement of the disk-drive, and for the reinstallation of Windows onto the new disk-drive.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation