Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer shut down randomly. When I restarted it it brought me a screen that read "Choose Keyboard Layout" so I did (keyboard and mouse are wireless and working) then it brings me the next screen with two options 1) Troubleshoot 2) Shutdown. When I click TROUBLESHOOT it gives me the options to 1) System Restore 2) Command Prompt 2) System Image Recovery 4) UEFI Firmware Settings 5) Startup Repair 6) Go back to previous version. NOT ONE OF THEM WORKS. I tried to do a system restore my hitting ESC and bringing it up before the Keyboard Layout screen and after about half way through restoring it just went staright to the Choose Keyboard Layout Screen. This is a horrible loop and nothing is working.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @Ambermariex11,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand that you have an HP Computer. I read that the PC does not boot to Windows and displays a blue screen with the option to choose a keyboard layout. 

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'l need a few more details:

Could you provide me with the exact model of the PC? Use this link to find it:  https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03754824  (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Have you recently made any software or hardware changes on the PC?

Did it happen after a software or Windows update?

Have you tried to run any test on the computer from F2? Here's the link.

In the meanwhile you respond to this post, I would suggest you follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Blue Screen (Windows 10, 8, 7)

Could you please respond to this post with the details and with the results of the troubleshooting for further assistance. 

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Please help, unable to access
HP Recommended

@CHAKU,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues related to your HP notebook. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any changes on the PC before the issue started?

Have you tried to run any test on the computer from F2?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the notebook

Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

1. If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.

If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.

2. With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

3. With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

4. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

Try performing a bios default on your PC and check if it helps.

1.    Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
2.    Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
3.    On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
4.    Press F10 to Save and Exit.
5.    Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
6.    Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Also, try running system diagnostics on your PC and check if the hardware on your laptop is functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC.

If the issue persists after trying out the steps. Try performing a complete system recovery on your PC using the recovery discs.

If you don't have a set of recovery discs. Here's what you need to know about obtaining recovery media for yourself: Click here

Otherwise, you could also reach HP phone support to order the recovery media. If your product is out of warranty, please choose paid options to get the tech support number.

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on "Continue as guest".

3) Enter the serial of your device. You can refer to this Link: hp.care/2bygf7l for help in locating your Serial Number.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

6) Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Amber was this problem resolved, I have just encountered the same issue!

HP Recommended
Unforunently not. I ended up having to install the operating system again. The first time I re-installed it the next day it fell into the same loop again so I had to re-install it once again and I haven’t had the problem since.
HP Recommended

Oh no! Oh well thanks for the info anyway.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.