Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: HP ENVY h8-1420a Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Envy has always had a few clicks from the box on start up. It now clicks 22 times and the HP Logo comes up then power cuts out to the monitor. I do a forced shutdown and restart the 22 clicks come up again on start up. Forced shutdown then I can sign in. I have fitted a 480 GB SSD and it has been running for 8 months with no trouble. Once it fires up the comp works fine. I haven't been game to shut it down completely and put it to sleep at night for the last three days. That works fine, wakes up and I use it all day. Have run all the HP Diagnostics Suspect power supply is my thoughts. What actually is the clicking noise from?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @hawkeye01

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Try the steps below -

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Also, try updating the BIOS. Refer to this document for steps - HP Consumer Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hi Jay, thanks for the info, however, mine is a desktop and the info supplied was for a notebook.  ? same.                                                    Also, try updating the BIOS. Refer to this document for steps - HP Consumer Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

I turn it on and the HP Logo comes up, screen goes black for 1 to 2 mins, speaker crackles a bit at that time an arrow comes up and a few seconds later it boots up for ne to put ny password in. Advanced system care tells me my boot time is 49secs. althought he power has been on for about 3 mins..Wasn't too sure if the power supply is on its way out. I dont have any CD's or USB sticks operating. When I changed to the SSD I think my compter moderator took the comp home and fitted the SSD left the old HDD in. I thought maybe it was for some reason gone back to trying to boot from it first, The 22 exactly clicks origin has got me beat. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.