Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop - 570-p010na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I'm having an odd problem with my HP Pavilion Desktop - 570-p010na that I'm hoping someone could help me with.

Like the title says, my computer is restarting randomly when I am using it. It usually does this at least once every time I use it. I have absolutely no warning it's going to happen and never see an error message during or afterwards. At first, I thought they were automatic windows updates causing my PC to reboot. I disabled automatic restarting for updates, but it carried on happening. I've tried the following troubleshooting methods I have found using this forum and HP advice pages, but none have worked:

• Scanned for viruses using Malwarebytes. None found.
  • Followed steps on this page to disable auto-restarting so I would at least receive a blue screen on restart. Since then, it has continued to restart without any warning or blue screen. I never receive any kind of error message.
  • Used HP support assistant to check for updates. Everything is up to date. Did not suggest any relevant troubleshooters.
  • Installed and ran HP PC Hardware Diagnostics tool. All tests passed, indicating there was no problem.
  • Tried to use online HP virtual assistant to find other suggestions for resolving this problem. It couldn't find any support documents relevant to my situation that I hadn't already read.
  • Read this similar question on the HP forum and followed the link Grzwacz posted. Followed the instructions to first run the command which executes DISM.exe. The check completed without any indication I have corrupt files.

Honestly, I'm at a loss right now. I'm not even doing anything that would require a lot of power from the PC when this happens. It literally seems random; sometimes I'll try to scroll down the page and the PC decides it can't handle it, goes to a black screen and reboots. Ironically, the most recent time it happened, I was opening a new tab in Chrome to find this forum.

Has anyone else ever experienced this kind of problem before? I've read a few questions that indicate some people have, but the only real solution I've seen that's worked is returning the PC for a refund. I'm not even sure whether a system restore would fix this problem. It's been going on for a few months now. My PC is still under warranty, so worst case scenario I guess I could get a swap or my money back due to how interruptive it is when I use it for work and personal use.

Thanks to anyone who can help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

A revision/update to Windows 10 did in fact start rolling out in January which is about the time your PC was taken in for service. Some PCs required BIOS updates for the newer versions of Windows and BIOS updates were posted and removed for some PCs due to stability issues.

I suggest that your update the diagnostics to the latest version and runn a full set to ensure that your PC is stable and also to obtain the latest firmware management software. HP Hardware Diagnostics

If the diagnostics run clean then open up a command prompt (admin) and enter: MSINFO32

Look at the BIOS level. If it's not at F.23 then you may need a BIOS update for SSID 82FE.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

@mdklassen --- FYI

I have experienced some weird issues with W10 updates when using Fast Startup. I was getting a restart on power off. So I disabled the Fast Startup option under the W10 power options. Since then, going back at least a month, additional W10 updates have been applied to my system. I haven't had a chance to go back and test Fast Startup and see if power off does result in a power off rather than a restart.  My issue could be related to the OP's issue.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

> My PC is still under warranty, so worst case scenario I guess I could get a swap or my money back ...

Contact HP, to open a claim against the HP Warranty.

HP will repair/replace the computer, at no cost to you.

They probably will try to troubleshoot, over the telephone, as their first step.

Hint: backup all your personal files to an external disk-drive, before you ship the computer to the nearest authorized HP Service Center.

Your symptoms could be due to overheating.

Or, some "intermittent" fault with the motherboard could trigger the "spontaneous" reboot (bypassing the Windows Blue-Screen-Of-Death).

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

HP Recommended

Yes, everything on your post, bin there done that and than some. Bought my 570-p059 in January this year and by Febuary, random restarts. After hours and days of trial and error, investigation and research I found one common denominator, Windows OS. This problem is not just with HP computers, but with with many other brands as well.

The bottom line is after reading other dicussion boards someone suggested turning off fast start and said they had success with that. So, two weeks ago I turned off fast start and I have not had a random restart sence than. 

It worked for me, it worked for others and it may work for you, if not than after at least one week you will know if or not there are other issues at hand.

HP Recommended

Hi,

A revision/update to Windows 10 did in fact start rolling out in January which is about the time your PC was taken in for service. Some PCs required BIOS updates for the newer versions of Windows and BIOS updates were posted and removed for some PCs due to stability issues.

I suggest that your update the diagnostics to the latest version and runn a full set to ensure that your PC is stable and also to obtain the latest firmware management software. HP Hardware Diagnostics

If the diagnostics run clean then open up a command prompt (admin) and enter: MSINFO32

Look at the BIOS level. If it's not at F.23 then you may need a BIOS update for SSID 82FE.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

@mdklassen --- FYI

I have experienced some weird issues with W10 updates when using Fast Startup. I was getting a restart on power off. So I disabled the Fast Startup option under the W10 power options. Since then, going back at least a month, additional W10 updates have been applied to my system. I haven't had a chance to go back and test Fast Startup and see if power off does result in a power off rather than a restart.  My issue could be related to the OP's issue.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I'm new to this forum so I thought this post would be shown as a reply to the answer given by @Big_Dave, but apparently not.

Hi,

Thanks for your detailed answer and instructions. I didn't know about the Windows update affecting the BIOS stability. I've used the HP Hardware Diagnostics tool in the past for this problem, but I'm running it again using an extensive system test this time.

While waiting for this to finish, I brought up the system information window like you suggested and found that my BIOS level is not up to date. Once the test is finished, I'll update the BIOS and accept this as the solution in a week if the restarting issue doesn't re-occur.

Thanks again

HP Recommended

Hello,

@Big_Dave Thank you for the info. I may have bin a bit too reliant on HP suport assistant for any update info, the only thing in there lately was the new hardware diagnostics. I did check my BIOS version and it was F.20. So, last week I went to the HP support site for updates and used the autodetect feature. Sure enough thier was another BIOS update waiting.  I downloaded and installed the update, turned the faststart feature back on. All this week not one random restart. At this point I feel it safe to say the BIOS update was the cure for my problem. It should also be the cure for @BlueJay54 and others on this fourm with the same or similar computers with the same problem.

Thanks again, great to have you on the support fourm.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.