Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion All-in-One 27-a240se
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My street's power went out this morning due to a utility pole catching on fire and various parts blowing up. It was quite the ordeal, but the fire department and the electric company were able to take care of the situation. When the power came back on, my computer would no longer boot. It's connected to a surge protector, but I'm thinking the problem is related to what took place. I do know there was a Windows update waiting for the next restart, which might have complicated things.

I have not been able to get past the most basic HP diagnostic options. When I ran the hard drive DST checks, I received the failure ID below. I've been looking around online and can't find anything that works to move past this point. I would greatly appreciate whatever support you might be able to provide. I have at least moderate computer know-how, but have never encountered this particular issue.

On a side note, the warranty is expired. Also, I have pulled files off dead computers in the past. If this one is beyond repair, is there any way to determine whether that will be possible based on the failure ID? If I have to buy another computer, that's one thing but I would really hate to lose what's on the hard drive that seems to be acting up.

Failure ID: 0GC7JC-982AKT-GXPS3F-61AG03

Product ID: V9B56AA#ABA

Thank you,

Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Bill:

Below is the failure report generated by the code you posted, minus your PC's serial number.

Failure Information
Failure ID Tag Checksum HP Serial Number Test Date Failure Code Device Includes Error Message
0GC7JC-982AKT-GXPS3F-61AG03OK8CC00000005/3/21305StorageFloppy Drive, Hard Drive, Memory Drive, Optical Drive, SCSI, Tape DriveHard Disk 1 Full Test Failure

99% of the time you get one of those failure codes, it means that you will need to install a new hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

Before replacing the drive, what you can do is see if you can reinstall Windows.

Use the Microsoft media creation tool to create a bootable USB drive to reinstall W10.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

If you need to recover files from the drive, when you get to the part of the installation that asks 'Where do you want to install Windows,' install it over the existing Windows partition and it will create a Windows.old folder.

After W10 installs, you can explore the Windows.old folder, find your old user profile and copy and paste the files to a portable hard drive, or the new Windows installation.

You can install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page.

HP Pavilion All-in-One - 27-a240se Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

If you can't install W10 on the drive, then you will need to replace it.

Below is the link to the service manual.

Upgrading and Servicing Guide (EMEA with shipping label) (hp.com)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi, Bill:

Below is the failure report generated by the code you posted, minus your PC's serial number.

Failure Information
Failure ID Tag Checksum HP Serial Number Test Date Failure Code Device Includes Error Message
0GC7JC-982AKT-GXPS3F-61AG03OK8CC00000005/3/21305StorageFloppy Drive, Hard Drive, Memory Drive, Optical Drive, SCSI, Tape DriveHard Disk 1 Full Test Failure

99% of the time you get one of those failure codes, it means that you will need to install a new hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

Before replacing the drive, what you can do is see if you can reinstall Windows.

Use the Microsoft media creation tool to create a bootable USB drive to reinstall W10.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

If you need to recover files from the drive, when you get to the part of the installation that asks 'Where do you want to install Windows,' install it over the existing Windows partition and it will create a Windows.old folder.

After W10 installs, you can explore the Windows.old folder, find your old user profile and copy and paste the files to a portable hard drive, or the new Windows installation.

You can install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page.

HP Pavilion All-in-One - 27-a240se Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

If you can't install W10 on the drive, then you will need to replace it.

Below is the link to the service manual.

Upgrading and Servicing Guide (EMEA with shipping label) (hp.com)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.