Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13 L0Q51UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer crashes everytime I try and wake it up from sleep mode. If close my laptop while it is on and then open the lid the computer crashes and has to restart. After hours of trying to indenify the issue, I have reason to believe that my Intel(R) Management Engine Interface driver is the problem. When I open my device manager thise device has an "!" by it and when I click on it it says "This device cannot start. (Code 10) STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE". I have tried updating the driver several times but this has yet to work. Using the virtual support agent directed my to a v9 version of the driver (I currently have a v11 version) but it says my computer does not meet the minimum requirements for the v9 version.

Of course this might not be what's causing my computer to crash but this is where the internet took me and there is definitely a problem here.

It is very frustrating having my computer crash every time it falls asleep and would love any help you can give me.

Kory

MEI1.pngMEI2.pngMEI3.png

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@KSlus178

Welcome to HP Forums,

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand, your notebook crashes when waking up from sleep mode.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

When was the last time it worked fine?

Have you made any hardware/software changes? 

Do you get an error message when the computer restarts?

Have you tried to update the drivers either using Windows update or using HP Support Assistant?

Have you tried to update the Bios? Most of the times updating the Bios helps to resolve the issue.

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the notebook: Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

Meanwhile, you may try to install the Intel® Driver Update Utility. This Utility keeps your system up-to-date, detecting which driver updates are relevant to your computer.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to update the BIOS and Chipset drivers for your PC, from our HP support website, using this link.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Manually install the drivers: 

1) Open Device Manager. Expand System devices. Right-click Intel (R) Management Engine Interface and click Uninstall.

2) When prompted with the uninstall confirmation, check the box for Delete the driver software for this device, and then click OK to continue. 

3) Reboot your computer. Windows will automatically help you update the correct driver once you restart. 

Update the driver

1) Open Device Manager expands System devices. Right-click Intel (R) Management Engine Interface and click Update Driver Software.

2) Select Search automatically for driver software

Keep me posted, 

Have a great day 🙂

Cheers!

HP Recommended

@Flower_Bud,

I'm not sure if the computer crashes going into sleep mode or trying to wake up from it. All I know is if I close my laptop or manually send it to sleep mode and then attempt to wake it up, then the computer crashes and has to restart.

My laptop last worked fine sometime in mid November. I think I downloaded a bios update around that time (I'm fairly certain I downloaded an update of some sort around the time that the problem started but im not sure that it was a bios update) but I'm not positive but other than that no hardware or software changes have been made. I dealt with it for a while not knowing what the problem was and have slowly tried to fix the problem myself but others with similar problems online dont have solutions that have worked for me yet.

Upon restart it says something like "F11 system recovery" in the bottom left corner then it brings me to a screen to select my language then to a screen with options to continue to windows, boot from a USB drive, and a few other options. Sometimes it also shows a screen where it checks the disc for problems unless I hit any key within 10 seconds. I have let it check the disc several times and skipped it on multiple occasions with no difference in outcome.

As far as error messages, nothing else comes up other than the screens I've detailed above.

On the subject of drivers, I have tried downloading several different drivers. HP Support Assistant and Windows Updates both say my drivers are all up to date. I have tried uninstalling the Intel Management Engine Interface several times but it always shows the same error messages in the device manager that were attached to my last post. If I try to update the driver it says its already up-to-dateI have downloaded what HP says is the most up to date bios for my laptop as well from the HP drivers page for my specific laptop, along with all the chipset drivers.

I also tried the hard reset and Intel® Driver Update Utility and neither helped.

HP Recommended

On the screen after I select my keyboard layout/language, the screen where it gives me the option to continue to windows, boot from a USB drive, etc. there is an option to troubleshoot so I just clicked it. Then theres an option to resest windows or refresh it. I tried the refresh option (because it said none of my files would be lost) but it almost immediately told me that there was a problem trying to refresh windows and that no changes were made.

This message has also been popping up after restart recently but only in the last few days, well after the problem

started.After Start.png

HP Recommended

@KSlus178,

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

I really appreciate you've tried possible steps. Since Refresh did not work, we will have to perform System Recovery.

NOTE: PLEASE BACK UP YOUR PERSONAL DATA BEFORE PERFORMING SYSTEM RECOVERY.

Follow steps from the link mentioned below (Recovery when Windows 10 does not start correctly): https://support.hp.com/emea_africa-en/document/c04758961#AbT6

If the issue persists, I would suggest you install the Operating system using HP Recovery Media. You can order them, following steps from the article.

Or you could contact our phone support:

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

* Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter the product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

Keep me posted, 

Have a great day 🙂

Cheers!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.