Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop - 750-524
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When my computer wakes from sleep, I am always greeted with the message to insert a disk into the g drive.  I have performed some tests and nothing is working.  I check my drive management and it looks like G is for my hardwired printer.  Do you think I should move it to another USB slot?  It is very annoying to always select 'cancel' on the window before moving on.  I have attached a screen shot.screen.JPG

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@WOWTROY21

Welcome to the HP Forums,

We'll be with you until it's all sorted & beyond!

Have you used the HP Print and Scan doctor to identify/resolve the issue?

If not, please use this link to download: HP Print and Scan Doctor and check your HP Diagnostic Tools for HP Printers in Windows.

Meanwhile, here's a few other things that should help:

1. Log in as an Administrator account in windows or any other account with administrative privileges.
  2. Press Windows key + X and click Disk Management
  3. Right click on your removable drive partition and select Change Drive Letter and Paths under Disk Management ( you can find your drive easily through size )
  4. Change the drive letter some other drive letter like X: or Z: which is not reserved by some other drive on windows.

Let me know how that pans out

I will have a colleague follow-up on this to ensure it's taken care off, in case you don't respond in the next 24-48hrs,

As I need to know if the issue has been resolved, to get proper sleep at night.

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

Followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge and have a great day Ahead!​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am using a Cannon MX870 printer and the print doctor did not find the issue.  I can print and communicate with the printer normally.  

I have changed the drive to X and now when I come back from sleep is show X error.  I have moved the USB port that it is plugged into.  I think the next step is to unistall and try again.  Although, I have been using for over a year with no problems.  This issue has only been happening for about 2 months now..maybe after a windows update, not sure.  Thanks for your help on this.x drive error.JPG

HP Recommended

@WOWTROY21

Thank you for replying with this detailed response,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

This could be a driver malfunction, I suggest you reinstall the drivers for your printer and install an update from their website if possible, 

Also, if the issue persists, try the below steps:

Press Win + I to open Windows Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Troubleshoot. On your right-hand side, you will see the Hardware and Devices option. Click on the Run the troubleshooter button to open the corresponding troubleshooter and follow screen options to fix basic problems. You may also run the USB Troubleshooter and see if that helps you.

If the above doesn't work, try the below steps:

Sometimes the existing partition creates problems even after formatting. In that case, you should delete the volume or the partition. You can do that using Disk Management.

Open Disk Management, right-click on the external drive, select Delete Volume option.

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.