Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
500-096
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Computer just acted up out of the blue

Fans run, have power light. Have black screen....    esc key, F10 etc don't do anything

No beeps.

Hard drive makes noise for  1/10 second , then no more noise.

Did a "hard reset" and changed CMOS battery.

Reseated memory chips and tried them one at a time... no change

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Does it have onboard video or a graphics card? 

HP Recommended

It has onboard video ...  It is an HP Pavilion 500-096

HP Recommended

Does the fan stay running at a constant speed?

HP Recommended

yes, both fans keep running

Also , when I removed BOTH (of 2) memory chips, I got 5 beeps and a pause before 5 more.

The 5 beeps are supposed to indicate a memory problem, which seems accurate as I removed ALL memory  (2 stcks)

When i removed the memory  sticks one at a time, neither stick caused any beeps , so It looks like memory is OK

HP Recommended

Try disconnecting the dvd drive if it has one.

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Thanks for your help,

disconnected the dvd,      no change

HP Recommended

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpiGUojtr3E&t=3s

Is there anything like this that may help, key combinations on startup to recover bios?

HP Recommended

Thanks,

Tried that a few times, but no change.

I had taken out my hard drive,   I reinserted  it without the screws to try the BIOS restore trick.

The whole hard drive moved very slightly because it wasn't screwed in, so it looks like the disc at least spins..

At this point i am going to try  a   "Sabrent SATA to USB 3.0 Adapter" . It won't fix my old PC, but I hope to recover the data

from the hard drive.  If it doesn't work,  then the hard-drive is totally fried.

Thanks for your help

HP Recommended

Yes, rescue your drive and data first.  If all other options fail and  you want to try, you could reseat the cpu, you would need thermal paste ready if you do. There are lots of good videos on youtube on how to do this and you may even find on for a similar model.   There should be a cmos clear jumper on the board and the schematic online to try it just in case i know you changed the cmos battery already, just a thing to try. Can you borrow a graphics card to try?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.