Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP G5345uk

So long story short i wanted to upgrade the RAM and storage on this pc, i wanted to wipe the OS from  the HDD and install it on the new SSD i bought.

I wiped the OS on the HDD  that comes with the system, the process got interupted and shuts down my computer when i boot from it. Like i said i want to move OS to a SSD however when i try to boot from the windows creration media on my 16 gb sandisk USB all i get is a black screen with a curser and after a few minutes i get "disk Error".

Things i have tried. 1) reinstall the media creation and reformatted the usb multiple times.

2) tested if my other system would boot from the usb...it did, in all usb formats.

3)changed the boot order .....same black screen.

4)tried to disable safe boot.....the bios doesnt have a safe boot option.

and as i said i tried to boot from the HDD to maybe update the bios but it powers down the whole system evry time i try it, i suspect the HDD is corrupted/dead.

Help please!!

System specs.

4gb ddr3 ram

H-I41- uATX (Eton/EtonL) motherboard from foxxcon

intel pentium E5800

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

1)  Assuming that no changes to the RAM at yet.  Correct?

2)  assuming that while this is happening the old HHD is still connected?

3)  Disconnect the HDD, leaving just the SSD

4)  Connect the SSD to SATA port 1 indicated on the support page and motherboard port layout.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01903990

5) boot into the Windows 10 media and try the install again

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

thanks for the reply, i took the steps you suggested and it still boots onto a black screen.

HP Recommended

Please clarify that statment.  It boo.st into the Windows 10 install USB and then goes to blank screen?

It should ask if you want to install, so if that is happening it is not booting to the USB.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

When i switch on the pc it goes straight to the black screen with a curser,this happens even when i go to the boot menu and switch the priority so that the next time i restart the system it boots from the usb that has windows installation media on it. However instead of giving me the option to install windows all i get is that same black screen with the curser.

HP Recommended

Obvilously there is something causing the boot process to skip the USB install routine.

I suggest disconnecting the SSD and only have the Windows 10 USB connected.  Boot the PC again in that configuration.  What happens now?

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

just tried it unplugged both the ssd and Hdd left nothing but the USB, nothing changes, the option to install windows does  not come up. straight to a back screen unfortunatly.

HP Recommended

I see there is a DVD/CD drive also.  Is there something in there?

Instead of the USB Windows 10 media make the DVD from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

and try to boot to only the Windows 10 install DVD.  That is still leave the HDD and SSD disconnected.  Only the Windows 10 DVD in the drive.

Now what happens?

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

the disktray isnt there anymore, it was damaged a long time ago. My only option is to installl via USB

HP Recommended

The only option is to make the Windows 10 media again and use a different PC to do the creation.  Something is amiss and  just need to find the problem piece of this puzzle.

The Windows 10 media must be the problem, now.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.