Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been trying to figure out how to fully convert Legacy to UEFI in order to avoid the issues people are having with BIOS v02.29 and up. I used the MBR2GPT tool to convert my Hard Drive to GPT in order to use UEFI boot. However when the drive was converted, I've been getting a BSOD upon loading W10. What settings should I set in BIOS to prevent this and fully switch over to UEFI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @Will_H1337 

You don't need to change any BIOS settings or do any disk conversions or whatnot.

All you need to do is to reinstall W10 in EFI mode.

You boot the W10 installer from one of the available EFI boot devices...the DVD or USB flash drive.

I used the DVD drive to install W10 in EFI mode on my 8200 Elite and 6200 Pro (which uses the same BIOS as the 8200 Elite).

If you are having issues, at the beginning of the installation clean the disk prior to continuing with the install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=z4Z38pD1Gt0&feature=emb_logo

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello
Unless I'm mistaken, if the computer is too old ..
That the bios is not available in uefi mode, it seems to me it is hardly lost ..
In any case to my knowledge, it does not exist, that said I have not done any research on this question, but given the risk that the motherboard is ruined, better to move on !!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi, @Will_H1337 

You don't need to change any BIOS settings or do any disk conversions or whatnot.

All you need to do is to reinstall W10 in EFI mode.

You boot the W10 installer from one of the available EFI boot devices...the DVD or USB flash drive.

I used the DVD drive to install W10 in EFI mode on my 8200 Elite and 6200 Pro (which uses the same BIOS as the 8200 Elite).

If you are having issues, at the beginning of the installation clean the disk prior to continuing with the install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=z4Z38pD1Gt0&feature=emb_logo

HP Recommended

So there's no other possible way to do this besides reinstalling Windows in EFI mode? I was really hoping I could save the hassle of not backing up all my data to re add it later on. If that's the case, I'll just wait until I get an SSD to install W10 in EFI mode then.

HP Recommended

you can not change the bios, as i indicated
So, no, we have to start all over again

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

That is correct.

You have to use one of the efi boot sources and clean install W10 in EFI mode.

That is when I changed...when I switched from a mechanical hard drive to a SSD.

I clean installed W10 in EFI mode.

Easy as pie.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.