Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi...

I have HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT with Core 2 Duo processor, 8 GB RAM and 250 GB SATA HDD.

I'm facing a problem in my desktop. Today I shutdown my PC in morning and everything was alright. After 2 hours when I reboot it, it startes giving 5 short beeps and after a pause of 1 to 2 seconds and then 5 beeps. I searched on internet via my smartphone and I came to know that it could be a memory error. So, I removed both of my RAM sticks, clean the RAM slots as well as RAM sticks and reinsert. After that my PC rebooted successfully and I used it for an hour. In evening, when I again power on my computer it again started giving same problem of 5 beeps with red blinking light.

Can someone help me to fix that issue ??

Thankyou 🙂

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi,

I think one of two RAM sticks is about to fail. Please run one of them for few hours each to work out which one and replace it.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
Hi banhien

I tried to run both RAM sticks one by one but the problem is still same 😞

HP Recommended
Yesterday I also did Windows Memory Diagnostic Test and the test was okaye. It did not give any fault in memory.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try:

1. Turn off PC.
  2. Remove memory sticks.
  3. Power pc on without sticks.
  4. Power PC off.
  5. Reinsert memory sticks.
  6. Power back on.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
Hello,

I already tried this but unfortunately it did not work for me.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Well, now just run with 1 piece of RAM for few days, even few weeks to determine which one is bad.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Hi,

My PC was not booting with those RAM sticks. I tried some new RAMs but the problem is still existing. Means my desktop did not start with any RAM stick. This means that there is no issue with RAM. Do you think that it could be Mobo issue ?? Because when I power on my computer, fans are running, mobo yellow light turning on but still desktop is giving 5 beeps with blinking red light and a pause of 2 seconds and the cycle of beeps repeats itself.

HP Recommended
To whom it may concern.
. I have a HP desk top I get 5 short beeps and 5 flashing red light tried everything unplugged each component one at a time with no results fans all run
HP Recommended

Hi,

most of the time when there is a 5 Red Light issue is becuase that some RAM is about to fail. but also there some other reason that you could be gettin RedLights.

Please check the following in your computer.

1- Check that all the sticks are properly seatting in the RAM slot

2- clean out every RAM Stick to make sure nothing is bothering the MB to read the stick

3- Reseat you CPU ( processor) and retry again

4 - Test RAM Stick 1 by 1 and found the defective one.

5- if all RAM Stick are good then test 1 by 1 RAM Slots and see if you dont have a bad Socket.

6- if you already try all this steps and the RAM sticks are OK then you might have a defective CPU(Processor) in my opinion and my best suggestion is that if you have a spare CPU(Processor) install it in the unit and try it. if that gets rid of the RedLights then you might have to change your processor.

Hope this Help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.