Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Here is the situation. I do some freelance work for a medical company. Since it is medical there are very strict rules for encryption blah blah. Work drive (SSD PCIe) and 2 (SSD/mechanical) for gaming and such (boot & storage). If I boot to work it tries to encrypt my other two drives. er uh no. I see the bios can disable pcie slots and sata ports. Any issues if I disable/enable the drives I want to use on boot? Is a pain yes but is the only way I can think of to make it work. Just want to make sure by doing that I won't have any issues with the drives. Make sense? Figured that is easier than pulling the drives out manually each time.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

That shouldn't be a problem to disable the sata ports.

Worst case scenario, is you set the BIOS to its defaults if for some unforeseen reasion, you run into a problem.

HP Recommended

What about the PCIe slot? Any issues if I disable that one? So I would alternate disabling the sata and enabling the PCIe, reboot, disable PCIe and enable sata. Back and forth as needed.

HP Recommended

You should be able to do that too, but just make sure you don't disable the one with the video card in it if so equipped.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.