FJO25
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Disable PCIe/SATA ports problems?

HP Recommended
z640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Here is the situation. I do some freelance work for a medical company. Since it is medical there are very strict rules for encryption blah blah. Work drive (SSD PCIe) and 2 (SSD/mechanical) for gaming and such (boot & storage). If I boot to work it tries to encrypt my other two drives. er uh no. I see the bios can disable pcie slots and sata ports. Any issues if I disable/enable the drives I want to use on boot? Is a pain yes but is the only way I can think of to make it work. Just want to make sure by doing that I won't have any issues with the drives. Make sense? Figured that is easier than pulling the drives out manually each time.

3 REPLIES 3
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
131,025 121,202 19,895 30,434
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

That shouldn't be a problem to disable the sata ports.

Worst case scenario, is you set the BIOS to its defaults if for some unforeseen reasion, you run into a problem.

0 Kudos
FJO25
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What about the PCIe slot? Any issues if I disable that one? So I would alternate disabling the sata and enabling the PCIe, reboot, disable PCIe and enable sata. Back and forth as needed.

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
131,025 121,202 19,895 30,434
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You should be able to do that too, but just make sure you don't disable the one with the video card in it if so equipped.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation