Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360

Thank you everyone who has put out the suggestion that disabling app readiness fixes the slow boot as it has for me. However, others have noted that disabling app readiness may cause updates to fail and may carry unintended consequences. In the meantime as we wait for a solution, what does someone with software engineering experience suggest we do? Leave app readiness disabled and risk failed updates? Or keep app readiness enabled and deal with a slow boot time until HP or Microsoft releases a fix? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

HP did release a fix to that problem on Saturday.

Resolving the black screen issue caused by Windows 10 update

If you have previously disabled App Readiness

1. Boot the PC
  2. Click Start and type Services
  3. Open desktop app Services and find App Readiness
  4. Open the service and set Startup type to Manual
  5. Click Apply and close the window
  6. Download and install HP Image Enhancement for System Logon - http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81965.exe
  7. Re-boot

If you have not disabled App Readiness

1. Boot the PC
  2. Wait 15-20 minutes for the boot process to complete and for the desktop to load
  3. Once on desktop, Download and install HP Image Enhancement for System Logon - http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81965.exe
  4. Re-boot

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

HP did release a fix to that problem on Saturday.

Resolving the black screen issue caused by Windows 10 update

If you have previously disabled App Readiness

1. Boot the PC
  2. Click Start and type Services
  3. Open desktop app Services and find App Readiness
  4. Open the service and set Startup type to Manual
  5. Click Apply and close the window
  6. Download and install HP Image Enhancement for System Logon - http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81965.exe
  7. Re-boot

If you have not disabled App Readiness

1. Boot the PC
  2. Wait 15-20 minutes for the boot process to complete and for the desktop to load
  3. Once on desktop, Download and install HP Image Enhancement for System Logon - http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81965.exe
  4. Re-boot
HP Recommended

I had the black screen issue on a new Z Book 15 G4.  Unfortunately before finding this fix I got sick of waiting for it to boot after 30 minutes and was able to get to Safe Mode and re install the backup onboard  copy of windows to factory defaults.  Then I found, downloaded and installed this fix.  I think I saw the word "success" in the DOS box before it disappeard.   Now I don't have the black screen issue but Windows update is frozen.  It says updates are available but the download stays stuck at 0 percent.  Tried the windows Troubleshooting tool for updates but that didn't help.

HP Recommended
I have had this problem for about a week . My PC is HP OMEN No help from Microsoft. Found by google searching that App readiness was possibly at the root of my problem. Disabled and found problem has ceased. However not sure of ongoing effects of a disabled service. I tried all option - automatic, manual,auto time delayed. Only thing that stops this 5 minute delay is disable. Found the fix and installed - following instructions Re-start computer Solution Failed At this point I have two choices 1. leave disabled for a week or so and see what happens 2 . set App readiness in any other state but disabled. In case of option when black screen arrives I can con+Alt+Del and access the task manger. From there I can stop the service manually - bingo A pain but better than enduring 5 minutes - ? Why is it so precisely 5 minutes I am wondering? Would love some feedback from an expert - would it be too much to ask HP to intervene as it appears to be a problem generated by them.
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.