Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Touchsmart 520 PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Disks won't load on my HP TouchSmart 520 PC.. Would this mean the drive or disks want cleaning?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ThomasMorris 

Please provide some details about WHAT you are doing and WHAT you are seeing on the screen.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

When I put a disk into DVD RW Drive (E:), I don't notice anything happening, I get no messages.

HP Recommended

@ThomasMorris 

That could be due to a couple of issue.

First, the laser lens could be dirty and the disk is not getting read properly -- and you alluded to this by asking if it needs to be cleaned.

Second, it could be that you have AutoPlay turned off.  With that on, Windows will attempt to read the drive as soon as it sees it.  With it disabled, it will not do anything.  

Go to Control Panel -> Programs -> Default Programs, and select Change AutoPlay settings, or Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> AutoPlay. Ensure that the check box for Use AutoPlay for all media and devices is ticked (enabled).

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Disks still don't load even with Autoplay turned on as you'll see from the attached screenshot, so this must mean that the lens needs cleaning. What settings should I have? How do I clean it if I can't load a cleaning disk?. When I try to open DVD RW Drive (E:)  to see what's in it it ejects the CD. Autoplay turned on..jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.