Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 590-a0010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The bios was updating, it did a system restart and failed to start. The power light comes on but nothing else happens. Monitor says there is no signal, keyboard does not light up or respond, neither does the mouse. I have tried restarting using the windows/b key combination and have made and tried a bios recovery flash drive, all with no results. I hear no beep codes. Is there anyway to recover this pc? 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

It looks like your PC may have exited warranty unless you have an extended warranty. When did you purchase the PC?  You may still be in warranty if you purchased this PC subsequent to this date in 2018.

Try removing the CR2032 motherboard battery. Let the PC sit for about 10 minutes.

Reinstall the battery.

A bad, unrecoverable (Windows+"B" combo), BIOS update generally kills the motherboard.

You may have to contact HP Support (Link) for a service.

Regards

HP Recommended

Yes the warranty expired on June 5, 2019. I removed the battery as you suggested, waited 15 minutes, reinstalled it and started the computer with the same results, power light comes on, fan runs, but nothing else works. 

When you say "kills" the motherboard, do you mean it needs to be replaced?

HP Recommended

Hi Wiretwister1,

Sorry to say "kills" means the BIOS ROM chip is corrupted.

Generally BIOS updates are uneventful unless a power failure occurs or you shut the PC down during the BIOS update process.

It may also be possible an incorrect BIOS update was applied but it was not detected during the BIOS update process.

Maybe HP can reprogram the chip or HP may replace the motherboard.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi Grcwacz,

Thanks for your quick responses. I will contact customer support and see what my options are.

Thanks again,

HP Recommended

Hi Wiretwister1,

You're very welcome.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.