Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteDesk 800 G1 SSF
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF High Performance Business Desktop Computer, Intel Quad Core i5-4590 upto 3.7GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 256GB SSD

[Personal Information Removed] K3N06AW#ABA

Win. 10 32bit

Hi,

On this one occasion I may have accidently pressed a key during initial boot up/start up.  Maybe not.  I don't know.  But the PC then showed 3 screens (below) and is stuck at 3rd screen. At 3rd screen,  I try pressing different keys -  each press brings up the same message.  

Here are the 3 screens---

The HP symbol shows.

HP

Press any key for Option ROM Messages

Press the ESC key for Startup Menu

The next screen says:

Intel(R) Boot Agent GE v.xxx

Copyright  etc., Intel

Client MAC ADDR:  xxxxxxxxxxx   GUID: xxxxxx

DHCP

PXE-E53:  No boot filename received

PXE-M0F:  Exiting Intel Boot Agent

Next Screen:

Non-System disk or disk error

replace and strike any key when ready

------------------------------------------

At the first screen (HP) I tried using ESC for StartUp Menu, but I don't know how to use

this Menu.  I did try pressing some selections.  They all lead to the above Error page. And the selection for "Diagnostics" results in Memory = PASS.  Hard Drive Quick Check = PASS

But, Hard Drive Extensive Check seems stuck and doesn't seem to progress. It states "1 sec" remaining, and doesn't progress. The "1 sec." and all data on this page don't change, even after 15 mins.

Also at this first screen, I tried "press any key for ROM messages". This leads to the second and third  screens (above).

I am a novice when it comes to inside brain of PCs. I never touch BIOS, etc. for example.

I'm afraid if this problem is very complicated.  Any thoughts to assist?

[I don't think or hope this wouldn't relate, but I'll add that this PC came with Win.10 (pro?) 64-bit,  and I had a Win. 10 Pro 32-bit disc and had that installed. So, there are two Win. programs in computer. I only use the 32-bit. The PC is programmed this way.  I haven't touched the 64bit program and don't know how or want to access it. It requires a full process to switch over to it if I want to. 

Hope this made some sense if reading this.]

Thank you!

Massachusetts
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@OfficejetJ6480 

Forcing the installation of Win10 32 bit was a BAD idea -- as that was probably a Retail version of Windows and that would not have the HP drivers needed for your hardware.  I am surprised it even worked after that!

From your description, it sounds like you pressed a key forcing the PC to now do a PXE boot -- which means it is trying to contact a Network Server to download a boot image from it -- and since it can't do that, it will never boot.

You will have to change the boot options and to do that, press the4 Esc key repeatedly while rebooting and when the HP Startup menu appears, press F2 to get into the BIOS options.  Once there, you will have to find the Boot options page and change that to boot from the internal drive.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@OfficejetJ6480 

Forcing the installation of Win10 32 bit was a BAD idea -- as that was probably a Retail version of Windows and that would not have the HP drivers needed for your hardware.  I am surprised it even worked after that!

From your description, it sounds like you pressed a key forcing the PC to now do a PXE boot -- which means it is trying to contact a Network Server to download a boot image from it -- and since it can't do that, it will never boot.

You will have to change the boot options and to do that, press the4 Esc key repeatedly while rebooting and when the HP Startup menu appears, press F2 to get into the BIOS options.  Once there, you will have to find the Boot options page and change that to boot from the internal drive.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

WAWood,  Sorry for the delay and thank you for the reply and info. 

Surprised your comment about Win. and 32bit. I did install my Win.10 32bit to keep access to my 2003 Office documents. It seemed to operate great. 

I guess I did hit that button by mistake.  I recognize what you describe as possible scenario that played out.

What is the "internal drive"?  (Remember, I have two Drives - SSD & HHD)   You wrote:

<< Startup menu appears, press F2 to get into the BIOS options.  Once there, you will have to find the Boot options page and change that to boot from the internal drive. >>

In the meantime, I am more in a panic since I brought the PC to the local repair shop and they diagnosed the hard drive is fully damaged. (they tried all recovery tools. They can only recommend sending to a special recovery data type place -- $900!)

Awful if having lost the work files (last external back was June 2021)

The original seller of PC has sent new SSD drive.  It will be installed at my local shop on Monday 9/20.

I guess I need to review whether to install the 32bit, or use the original 64bit that comes with the SSD.  I don't want to lose what I have saved on the external.  I guess I'll need to keep a laptop with Win. 7 32bit inorder to view my Office files.

Interesting you mention "image".  When the 32bit was installed on new EliteDesk, I wanted the desktop screen to look just like my old screen that had Win.7.  I couldn't handle big changes with the upgrade to Win.10 at the time.  And I left it that way ever since then because it operated fine.

I appreciate knowing more about "internal drive" question from above.

Thank you so much!  (I'm checking off Best Solution and thumbs up.)

Massachusetts

Massachusetts
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.