Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

On Friday I got a notice that the HP softare (assistant I believe) had updated and needed to restart. I declined at that time, left the computer running all weekend, powered down last night. Turned on this morning and boot is stuck at the HP logo. I've tried various suggestions from the internet but nothing works, including:

Clearing CMOS using jumpers - never get a notification anything has been done

When I press any keys, e.g. F11, I get a screen with system information and 'Press ESC key for Startup Menu'. I can't get past this ... pressing ESC does nothing.

Suggestions for next steps?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi! @scottstrat, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand you have issues booting into your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any hardware or software changes on your PC?

Are you able to boot into BIOS on your PC?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

As you mentioned when you boot your PC it is stuck at HP logo.

Try restoring the BIOS to default and check if it helps.

1.    Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
2.    Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
3.    On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
4.    Press F10 to Save and Exit.
5.    Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
6.    Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset." Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

1. Turn off the computer completely; disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

2. With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

3. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

• If the computer starts, you are done.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot no boot issues with your PC.

Also, try running a system diagnostics on your PC and check if the hardware components are functioning correctly on your PC.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Did you make any hardware or software changes on your PC? I did not. The most recent change was the HP software update. This was the first time I had tried to power it up after the HP software updated.

Are you able to boot into BIOS on your PC? No. Any button I push (F10, F11, ESC, etc.) loads the screen in the attached image with some system information and the message 'Press ESC key for Startup Menu'. Pressing ESC does nothing - it remains stuck on that screen.

screen.jpg

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better. --> HP Envy Desktop 750-170se

HP Recommended

@scottstrat, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned none of the function keys work on your PC.

Try reseating the hard drive and memory on your PC and check if it helps.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

It is a hardware issue with your PC.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Have a great day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have sam issue with my Envy 860-180st. The problem started 02/05/2018 after I restarted per a HP notice. What is up with HP?

HP Recommended

@JEN46, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand your PC is stuck at HP logo too.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you try the steps recommended by me in the previous post?

If your machine is non-responsive and not allowing you to get into Setup/BIOS something fundamental like RAM most likely to be the culprit.

Try reseating the memory or replace the memory on your PC and check if it works.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Same thing happened to me last night. Did you figure it out?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.