Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 880
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all,

I recently Installed a new arctic freezer f7pro after my stock cooler was leaving the CPU still quite hot when rendering CAD models. 

Fan error 90B 'a cooling fan is not operating correctly' appears before boot. Despite this when windows is booted up, temperatures are significantly lower when idle and also when under load (rendering CAD models).

Is this just a glitch error code? /is there any way of getting rid of this? 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Benn117 

Different fans can have different plugs connecting them to the motherboard, often 2-pin, 3-pin, or 4-pin.

Since your fan is getting power, it is unlikely to be connected wrong -- but it's worth checking.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi Wawood, 

Thanks for your reply. 

The fan I removed had 4 pins and the fan I used to replace it also had 4 pins. The fan is powered up and the temps are far better than the old fan. Very confused, but don't want to damage my pc by using it. 

HP Recommended

@Benn117 

If the new temps are far better than the old ones, you are not going to damage the CPU by using the new fan.

HP Recommended

In which case is there a way of disabling the 90b error code that props up whenever I attempt to boot?

If what you say is correct, this is a fault and shouldn't be there. As it shuts the pc down after 15 seconds if the enter key is not hit, this is more than just a nuisance.

Thank you for your help so far

HP Recommended

@Benn117 

All I can suggest is looking in the BIOS/UEFI settings for fan-related settings to see if they can be disabled.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.