Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN 880-138na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

My OMEN 880-138na fails to boot after 8 beeps/flashes, turns off and tries to reboot again. This goes on and on.

Issue occured after I shut down Windows 10 with "install updates and shut down", and went to sleep. PC was off in the morning, but failed to boot when I tried.

I checked RAM (tested each separately) and graphics card GTX1070 are inserted correctly.

Tried:

-hard reset (hold power button for 15 sec, no effect)

-repair of BIOS (Windows+B, 2-3 seconds power button - no effect)

-start with BIOS repair from USB (no effect)

-refresh CMOS by taking battery out (no effect)

I understand the issue is with BIOS, but really no idea what to do now. Any help appreciated.

Inconveniently less than a month out of warranty. Upsetting, as really didn't expect this to happen after one year (most of my computers lasted 5 years).

Am I supposed to buy a new motherboard now? There are a lot of Z370s (Asus, MSI, Gigabyte), but no "HP" or "Omen".

Are any of these suitable for Omen 880 case and everything can be put on a new motherboard?

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The only way to fix this seems to be to send computer back to HP to replace the motherboard.

You need to contact HP using support website. Take note that the phone number will not be shown outside working hours, so it may seem at first as if there is no way to contact HP if you are looking in the evening or over the weekend, but during working hours they show the phone number.

HP doesn't sell or send replacement motherboards, so the only way is to send back the whole PC.

The collection by DPD is quite efficient and computer was received back in 4 business days (thumbs up for this).

No clarification about the cause from HP, but I do think there's an issue with HP Support Assistant. If you search this website for bricked BIOS, you will see numerous topics on similar issue caused by updates.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

BIOS error codes for newer HP PCs can be reviewed here (Link).

I don't see a 8 beep error code. You have 3:5, 4:4, or 5:3 error codes.

You can:

Contact HP Support (Link) or,

Look at other uATX MBs.

There is no guarantee a retail MB will work in your case. Plus you may have to buy a new W10 product key if you replace the MB and it works.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi Grzwacz,

Thank you for reply.

HP Support pages are all messed up and containing contradicting or incomplete advice. There is a description of 8 beep error elsewhere on the website.

My conclusion is that "HP Support Assistant" bricked my motherboard.

I'd advise to remove "HP Support Assistant" immediately to avoid bricking BIOS.

HP Recommended

The only way to fix this seems to be to send computer back to HP to replace the motherboard.

You need to contact HP using support website. Take note that the phone number will not be shown outside working hours, so it may seem at first as if there is no way to contact HP if you are looking in the evening or over the weekend, but during working hours they show the phone number.

HP doesn't sell or send replacement motherboards, so the only way is to send back the whole PC.

The collection by DPD is quite efficient and computer was received back in 4 business days (thumbs up for this).

No clarification about the cause from HP, but I do think there's an issue with HP Support Assistant. If you search this website for bricked BIOS, you will see numerous topics on similar issue caused by updates.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.