Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
6305 Pro SFF [edited]
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

On start up, fan blows on high setting and screen is blank.  I need to power down by holding in the power button.  I did a sress test on the processor (A8-5500b) and performed the long and short drive tests on the 500 GB hard drive.  All passed.  I noticed that there is a critical BIOS update dated March 2018 but the HP Support Assistant did not perform the update.  I have version K06 v.0274 installed and the update is for version 00.02.77 Rev. A.  Do I need to update this manually with a USB drive?  Also, if Windows is reloaded, does the HP Support Assistant automatically update all drivers, etc?  Is this a software or hardware issue?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You should not be experiencing a hardware problem if you can successfully run HP Diagnostics at boot.

But the symptoms suggest a hardware problem (high fan speeds and a blank screen). This symptom usually suggests a power supply or motherboard problem.

So, I can't say what is happening in this instance.

It is unwise to do BIOS updates within HP Support Assistant.

It is better to install a BIOS update manually by downloading the update from your HP PC's driver download site.

You could be having a Windows 10 feature update problem. Newer versions of Windows 10 may cause instability if there are problems with legacy hardware or unsupported drivers.

It is also recommended to do Windows 10 feature updates with keyboard, mouse, and monitor connected to the PC.

Regards

HP Recommended

Ok, thanks for your help.  I will leave the BIOS alone. The problem seems to occur the day after the PC is on for 12 hours striaght, when the PC is cold.  When I turn it on, the fan blows on high and the screen remains blank with no color.  The boot process never starts and I have to power down to shut the fan off.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.