Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Elite m9402f PC
Microsoft Windows Vista

When turning on the computer the monitor status displays a check mark on VGA (turn it on again it displays a check mark on HDMI).  It switches each time I turn it on.  After it has selected one of them, the next thing it displays is, "system fan has failed to prevent any damage select F2".  Before I can select the F2 key, it next displays, "monitor going to sleep".  It keeps doing this.  Prior to this issue, the computer will sometime turn on and sometime not at all so I stopped using it for a while.  Someone at work said he would look at it.  Well, he changed the hard drive and memory card and it worked okay but then I left it on a whole day then when I wanted to use it again, this issue started.  With the fan and the monitor going to sleep issue.  Now if I need to replace the fan, I don't know which fan since it has two.  If anyone can help, I really will a appreciate it.

mThere so much question here, I don't know if I will be able to find any reply on this.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Gailmst That could be either the system fan or the CPU fan, and considering the error, its the fan you should have replaced first, that said, I'm afraid I don't have the part numbers as such, considering the device is obsolete, you could however, order the replacement parts on the HP Parts Store, use the HP Parts Surfer to find the part number and If you've already looked for it and couldn't find it on the HP Parts Store, you may want to get it locally at the online store such as Amazon or eBay, etc...as the part numbers are universal.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Gailmst That could be either the system fan or the CPU fan, and considering the error, its the fan you should have replaced first, that said, I'm afraid I don't have the part numbers as such, considering the device is obsolete, you could however, order the replacement parts on the HP Parts Store, use the HP Parts Surfer to find the part number and If you've already looked for it and couldn't find it on the HP Parts Store, you may want to get it locally at the online store such as Amazon or eBay, etc...as the part numbers are universal.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you R.iddle, I will try replacing the fan first as you suggested.  I really appreciate your efforts too, in trying to help me find the part.  I hope it will be the solution but if not I may be back...?

Much Aloha!

HP Recommended

@Gailmst The pleasure is all mine, please try replacing both fans and if the issue persists, the motherboard may require attention, I suggest you check with a local tech to be on a safer side before investing more money on an old product, as you can purchase a new HP product for the same amount of time and money, if you know what I mean.

Your well wisher,

Take care and have a good day.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.