Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Elite Desk G3 mini i7 7th gen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an Elite Desk G3 mini. 7th gen i7, 1tb m.2 drive and a 2tb SSD. 16GB Ram. 8GB is Samsung, 8 GB is micron. same specs on the RAM.

This is a new issue. When I turn on the PC in the AM and once it boots up, the fan starts to run at full or near full speed. It will run like that until i go into the task manager and select the Performance tab. The % utilization graph shows the CPU 75% or sometimes close to 90%. Once I'm in that screen, the fan slows to normal and the CPU % goes back to within normal parameters. It's fine the rest of the day after that.

When the PC goes to sleep and i wake it back up, this issue does not happen. Just when the PC has been turned on from being off.

Any thoughts on what could be going on?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Windows runs several tasks as it starts up:

* Windows Defender "calls home" to update the anti-virus software

* Windows Defender does a "quick virus scan".

* Adobe Reader "calls home" to check for updates.

* Windows Update "calls home" to check for updates

Note that Microsoft releases security-updates on the 2nd Tuesday of every month, at 10 AM Pacific. So, Windows could be installing those updates on that day, or the next.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and under normal circumstances, I would tend to agree. However, this is recent over the last 2 weeks or so and the fan does not revert back to normal speed until I go into the performance tab. When I booted up this am, it started running at high speed and it's been like this for at least 30 minutes. I finally went into the performance tab and it normalized. I have another one of these exact PC's that I use on a daily basis and it does not do what this one does.

HP Recommended

From the "Performance" tab in Windows Task Manager, at the bottom of the tab is a link to "Open Resource Monitor".

This monitor can give much more detail.

Also, to the right of the "Performance" tab is the "App History" tab, which reports which processes use the most CPU resources, and cause the fan to speed up, and make more noise.

HP Recommended

I'm not sure what I was looking at but the scale peaked up to 75% in the performance tab. Under resource monitor, I'm seeing a lot of host process lines. I did notice that Firefox uses 246 threads and the system uses 236 threads, but I'm not sure that is the problem. Like i was mentioning, this is a new issue that only started a couple of weeks ago. And, when I get into the performance tab of task manager, everything normalizes. 

HP Recommended

Is Firefox configured to re-open all the tabs that were open when you closed Firefox?

Over time, Firefox could be trying to open my tabs, using many threads, each time that you open it.

Also, Windows can run "background" tasks when you are not using the motherboard and mouse.

Clicking, or some other activity, tells Windows to suspend those background tasks, to give higher priority to  your "foreground" interactions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.