Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq CQ2009F PC
Microsoft Windows XP (64-bit)

So I recently decided to restore this old pc I had in my inventory. I got it up and running for a while, installed a fresh copy of windows xp pro 64 bit. Then one day, I goto shut it down, and it never comes back alive....

Basically what's happening is, I will turn it on, the one fan that's plugged in (That's the max amount of fans the board supports) starts to spin as fast as it can, and goes back to normal, and while it's doing this, there is no display on my monitor at all, no beeping, just the fan. It is not using a regular PSU, it's using a laptop charger, as it's a compact desktop. I tried reseating the ram, replacing the CMOS battery, tried a different cable, tried a different monitor, anything I could think of, and it's still giving me this error. If I could recieve some info as to why this is happening, that would be much appreciated!

Kind Regards,
James

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi. I have a similar problem but w a new desktop. Tried to put in an external GPU. no image so I took it out again. then PC wont start up proerly...

Fans spin up but no sound, no image...powerbutton seems useless now. nothing happens when u use it. tried everything like u did. 

I hope there is a solution. Let me know if u figure it out. I'll do the same...Have a similar request for help.

HP Recommended

Yeah, I will keep an eye out, and comment back if I find a result, I hope I can soon, same with you.

Hope your problem gets gixed.

HP Recommended

There is not much you can do....specially if you tried another monitor...this sounds like a gpu output failure..and its integrated on your motherboard..Except taking it to a repair shop I dont know what can you do...you did all the "normal" steps 

Mike
HP Pavilion 590-p0026nq, Core i7-8700, 8GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060+Samsung 970 Evo Plus 256 GB NVMe
HP Recommended

Hi James,

From my experience this is a problem with your RAM. If you've got 2 sticks here, remove one and boot. If that doesn't work then try the other. If you don't have 2, then try a spare. Or try moving the one from slot 1 into slot 2.

Good luck and let me know how you get on:)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.