Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Slimline s5-1114 Desktop PC

my HP Slimline s5-1114 used to boot with it's original hardware, but one day would only display a black screen and show no display. After troubleshooting, I decided to do a full swap of the motherboard (HP Carmel Intel H61 SandyBridge Desktop) as well as a new Intel i7 2600S CPU. (I suspected the integrated GPU had gone bad on the old board)

Today after a full install of new components, I cannot get the computer to boot or get to POST. The light turns on, I hear the drive hum, no beeps, but no bootup sound, and no display STILL.

Does anyone know how to get into the BIOS on an HP Slimline s5-1114? I have no idea where to go to fix this thing and I feel that may be my final move. Thank you!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for all your responses. I solved the problem of the display not showing up. Long story short, the graphics card I bought was broken, but the clincher was I had installed an incorrect GPU driver that was interfering with my PC's onboard graphics as well, and specifically it's ability to display on my Ultrawide monitor. After plugging it into a normal (not ultrawide) monitor, I was able to see a low-res display, and after updating to latest driver via Windows, the display issues resolved themselves and I was able to connect back to my Ultrawide.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

It's worth noting, the ONLY time I can get the computer to display anything, is if I tap F2 on startup, I start to hear a few clicks from the motherboard, and then I'm shown a plain text screen that's labelled "HP Vision Hardware Diagnostics v1.02". This screen just goes through a list of functions and then asks me to press R to reboot. What is this screen? Is this the BIOS? Can I do anything from here? It's the only screen I can make appear.

HP Recommended

I read the other topic
you had installed a graphics card, and obviously a problem afterwards?
did you reinstall the same graphics card?
If you have the diagnostics screen, all seems not lost, but you did not specify
If you managed to start and install windows before, or not at all?
For the bios, most hp computers, it will either quickly press the 'esc' key several times, then select the open bios ..
otherwise, f10 directly
but a motherboard can be defective, even if you have just bought it

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thanks for all your responses. I solved the problem of the display not showing up. Long story short, the graphics card I bought was broken, but the clincher was I had installed an incorrect GPU driver that was interfering with my PC's onboard graphics as well, and specifically it's ability to display on my Ultrawide monitor. After plugging it into a normal (not ultrawide) monitor, I was able to see a low-res display, and after updating to latest driver via Windows, the display issues resolved themselves and I was able to connect back to my Ultrawide.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.