Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
H2L72AA#ABA

The BIOS in the HP H8-1234 desktop got corrupted when another IT repair company was trying to upgrade BIOS. Turning on the computer results in 8 beeps at boot with no display.

I read other comments on having a corrupt BIOS. Attempted to get into BIOS recovery mode by holding down the Windows + B keys at boot. Also tried Windows+V.

Is there a way to recover the BIOS with a USB flash drive? I downloaded the BIOS for this computer. When I ran the setup for BIOS exe, there was no option to create a usb flash drive. It just went through the steps of updating BIOS only.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Ok thanks. I had tried the instructions for step 1 before but didn't work. Step 2 I can't complete. The BIOS download for the system doesn't have a 'create recovery usb flash drive' option. It only updates BIOS that's it. I think that's my only hope with recovering from a usb flash drive. Let me know if there is an alternate way to create a usb recovery flash drive since wasn't possible with BIOS download.

HP Recommended

Hi

SO it's a

HP Pavilion HPE h8-1234 Desktop PC
HP Pavilion HPE h8-1234 Desktop PC

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-hpe-h8-1200-desktop-pc-series/5187019/m...

M3970CMNR-HP Motherboard BIOS Update

8.10 Rev. A3.5 MBJan 24, 2013

AND you tried the 5 year old BIOS update, which failed? It is W7 / 8 os version only.

HP Recommended

Hi

downloaded and extracted with 7zip

So this the RTF that is within the SP bios update...

Title: M3970CMNR-HP Motherboard BIOS Update

Version: 8.10

Description: This package provides an update to the M3970CMNR-HP Motherboard BIOS for the supported desktop models and supported operating systems.

Purpose: Critical

Category: BIOS

Operating System:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (32-bit)

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit)

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (32-bit)

Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise (32-bit)

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit)

Microsoft Windows 7 Starter (32-bit)

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (64-bit)

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)

Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit)

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)

Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Language(s):

Global English

Enhancement/Fixes:

- Resolves issue with TV Tuner still appearing in Device Manager when disabled in "PCI Express X1 Slot2" in BIOS Setup.

- Resolves "Secure Boot Manual Logo" test failure.

Prerequisites:

- You must be logged on as an administrator to install this update.

- You must have a Microsoft Windows 7 or 8 operating system.

Installation Instructions:

1. Click the Download Only button.

2. At the File Download screen, click the Save button.

3. At the Save As screen, save the file to your Desktop.

4. If a message appears stating that the file already exists, click YES to overwrite file.

5. Double-click the icon for the update downloaded to your desktop, and then click NEXT.

6. Follow on-screen instructions.

7. If prompted to restart the system upon completion of the update, click YES and allow system to restart.

Copyright © 2013 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.

With these files within...

S:\Downloads\H8_1234_Bios>dir
  Directory of S:\Downloads\H8_1234_Bios

12/12/2018  22:58    <DIR>          .
12/12/2018  22:58    <DIR>          ..
03/12/2012  17:04         4,194,304 An2_810.rom
05/02/2010  10:10            95,232 hpprobar3.exe
02/08/2010  10:58         1,260,600 Installer.exe
26/06/2012  17:49           302,352 safuwin.exe
23/01/2013  19:50             2,223 SP60605.rtf
               5 File(s)      5,854,711 bytes
               2 Dir(s)  131,024,662,528 bytes free

Whether you can create a bootable iso or usb or whatever and then try the .exe in dos rather than win.

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info. Another repair place yes tried to update BIOS in Windows 10 I think and it failed while doing so. They also reinstalled Windows 10 without her permission. It was a fresh install on drive.

Customer and I got a HP Compaq 8200 Elite MiniTower I7 for $200. Maxed out the memory at 16gb. The H8-1234 was 10gb. I'll play around with your tips though and try creating a bootable USB recovery BIOS drive  to try getting the H8-1234 going. It doesn't boot up just 8 beeps.

HP Recommended

Hi

So if you make a W10 USB bootable media (or W7 / W8) there is a command line option.

It is usually X:, and onto that USB you may be able to copy the BIOS files and try them as a dos command.

W8 Repair.pngRecovery Reinstall.png

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.