Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi, @hacketiwack 

Other than updating the Intel chipset driver and Intel management engine interface drivers to their latest versions, I don't have any other ideas to offer.

This chipset driver is newer than the one on your PC's support page.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp101001-101500/sp101171.exe

Intel management engine interface:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp136001-136500/sp136281.exe 

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, even with these drivers, the disks disappear. 😞

HP Recommended

Your might consider a two bay Synology system.  Those drives are listed as compatible.  There is also a discussion here

https://lists.ceph.io/hyperkitty/list/ceph-users@ceph.io/thread/FVVDZ4W7GRTV5U2SXU7N2S43VX3CG7MN/?so...

concerning the lack of firmware update to your torhiba drive and it seems disabling power management with hdparm is possible.  There is a windows version of hdparm but I would go with Synology.

I have worked with several Synology systems both 2 and 4 bay and they are easy to use. 

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Thanks BeemerBiker for the suggestion and the interesting information regarding these Toshiba HDDs.

These disks were working fine on Gnu/Linux and hdparm could stop them properly.

The options I see are:

• Selling these HDDs and buying newer and less "exotic" ones.
    • Which brand would you recommend?
  • Buying a SATA controller card.
    • Which SATA card would you recommend?
  • Buying a NAS: e.g. Synology
    • Which model would you recommend?

Thanks

HP Recommended

The DS218+ is an excellent entry level NAS.  I assume you want RAID 1 which the two bay will do.

This link shows your Toshiba drive as compatible with a (standard) warning about the firmware

BeemerBiker_0-1644162768457.png

You can check the firmware of your drive as below

BeemerBiker_1-1644163100277.png

I recently worked with one of my kids to upgrade the server where he worked. As the only lawyer there with any computer experience he was put in charge of the server:  DS218+

Within a week of upgrading from 2-Tb to a pair of 10-Tb Seagate, one of them went bad.  I have been using a 4 bay for three years and never had a problem with 8tb Seagate.  On thing we discovered quickly was the files could be accessed from anywhere on the internet even if the NAS had a dynamic IP address.  This works nicely when working from home due to COVID. 

Synology had a community but just like here sometimes, there can be a lot of questions and few answers.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Thanks for sharing your experience.

For the records, the firmware of the Toshiba HDDs is in version 103, which shouldn't be a problem.

In the meantime, I will order a good SATA controller card and let you know if this solve my immediate problem.

HP Recommended

For the information, I solved my problem with an additional SATA controller with a JMB582 chip.

IMHO, the BIOS on the motherboard needs an upgrade to support more hard disks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.