Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I think it has Windows 10 installed.  My neighbor's machine.  She has not used it, because it would not boot...and I offered to see if I could fix it.  

The power light on the back and front when powered on are solid white.  If you let it sit...there are no beeps or anything, but you  can hear CD initialize and HDD spin up.  Stops on BLACK Screen - no HP logo, no nothing.  If you power on and start tapping the ESC key, you will get about 6 lines of text (CPU (Intel Celeron), and RAM, and some other stuff - then just stops).  No POST Beep or presentation of the Boot Menu or anything.  I have tried powering on and tapping F10 and F11 (once a second) - same results.  No boot.  

I put a bootable USB drive in the back - and it flashes 1 time on power on - but then the light goes out on it and nothing.  

I know it is old and out of warranty - she is 81 and likes the camera aspects to talk to her grandkids.  

Anything else I can try?  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Sounds like the internal drive may have died or the filesystem become so corrupted that Windows will not longer boot -- since you are not getting to a login screen.

It sounds like the PC is seeing the USB stick but apparently, is not booting from it.  It could be that the BIOS is not set to boot from USB, so you would probably have to keep hitting Esc or F11 when booting to bring up the boot selection menu to see if you can select the USB stick.

Otherwise, you would have to remove the internal drive, connect it to a working PC and then run tests on it to see if it works.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

While I appreciate your response, I stated that I did the ESC and other keys to get into BIOS and that fails.  How could I change the START-UP Device if I cannot get into BIOS?

I can hear the HDD spinning.  If I press the ESC as I am booting - it boots to a black screen with CPU and RAM information at the top and some other words about SETUP at the bottom...but, no key on the keyboard (ESC, F10, F11, ENTER, nothing) will let you get passed this screen.  

There is NO POST BEEP or anything  before or after this screen.  I have let it sit there for 30+ minutes.  It never changes. 

I know this thing is old - and I have gone so far as to take the CMOS Battery out and disconnect the HDD from the system board so that nothing but a keyboard is attached.  It does not even warn that the CMOS Battery is missing.  

HP Recommended

One thing you could try, presuming this All-in-One has USB ports, is connecting an external keyboard through a USB port and seeing if that will work.

HP Recommended

The unit has been thrown into the trash.  My neighbor does not want me to work on it any more.  

It is obvious that you are answering just to be answering...  AS I STATED that there was a keyboard attached and the pressing the <ESC> key allowed me to get 'CPU and RAM' info to display, and then it FROZE UP - KEYBOARD non-responsive.  

HP Recommended

I suggested ANOTHER keyboard just to see if that could workaround the existing keyboard issues.

I would not waste my money on these -- as they combine all the negatives of a laptop with none of the positives.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.