Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Slim 290-p0056 desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have questions about the HP BIOS Recovery.

The HP documentation (linked below) says notebook users have two choices for BIOS Recovery. They can 1) Make a BIOS Recovery Drive on a USB, or they can 2) use the Windows key + B and hold the power button down to initiate BIOS recovery.

For desktop users, it only refers to the Windows key + B method.

My questions:

1) Can desktop users create a BIOS Recovery USB?

2) How do I find out if my desktop model has the Windows key + B feature? The documentation implies that not all models have it.

I do not have an issue. I'm trying to understand my options for when it may be needed.

Thank you so much for your time.

HP Notebooks BIOS Recovery - https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

HP Desktop BIOS Recovery - https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04126730

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi sonicwind,

1. I can only guess the USB BIOS recovery method, since HP documentation for Desktop PCs does not mention this method, may not work.

2. Your PC is a 2018 product. It should support BIOS Recovery using the Windows key +B method.

Don't mess with HP factory recovery partitions included by HP in the factory image. The BIOS recovery is located in the HP_Tools partition.

Also make HP Recovery media using the HP Recovery Manager.

It is possible a subsequent W10 update (which happen every six months) could remove this BIOS recovery partition.

Microsoft and system integrator OEMs work together but bad stuff can happen.

All may not be lost if a W10 update does remove the required HP partition.

You may be able to recover the BIOS by downloading the HP Diagnostics 4-in-1 USB key from this HP site (link). Scroll down to see the download link.

Regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi sonicwind,

1. I can only guess the USB BIOS recovery method, since HP documentation for Desktop PCs does not mention this method, may not work.

2. Your PC is a 2018 product. It should support BIOS Recovery using the Windows key +B method.

Don't mess with HP factory recovery partitions included by HP in the factory image. The BIOS recovery is located in the HP_Tools partition.

Also make HP Recovery media using the HP Recovery Manager.

It is possible a subsequent W10 update (which happen every six months) could remove this BIOS recovery partition.

Microsoft and system integrator OEMs work together but bad stuff can happen.

All may not be lost if a W10 update does remove the required HP partition.

You may be able to recover the BIOS by downloading the HP Diagnostics 4-in-1 USB key from this HP site (link). Scroll down to see the download link.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help again, Grzwacz.

HP Recommended

Hi sonicwind,

You're very welcome.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.