Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8000 Elite
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just obtained this computer with windows 10.  I am trying to boot a live USB drive and install linux, but it only seems to want to boot from the hard drive.  I can hit F9 to get the boot menu, and USB is listed, but when I select it, it just boots into windows from the hard drive. I tried disabling everything in the boot devices in bios except the USB, and it gives me the "non system disk or disk error" I have updated the BIOS to the latest version, still no luck.  I can't find any option to choose Legacy or UEFI.  The USB drive contains Xubuntu 18, and it boots fine on my laptop.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I suggest sourcing another image from a different mirror and then trying Rufus.

What is there to lose?

Are you using the volume type your BIOS requires to boot from?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Which model of HP Compaq 8000 Elite is it?  There are a number of different formats.

In the BIOS, go to the Security tab  --> USB security to ensure that the USB ports you want to use are enabled.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Product number:

LA014UT

All the USB ports are enabled in the BIOS.
HP Recommended

I had a similar problem with a laptop that was formatted as a GPT volume.

Your desktop is an MBR volume type.

Are you using  RUFUS to create the bootable flash drive?

I had difficulty with the downloaded images. You might try a different mirror for the source.

What I ended doing was to install an older version of Linux Ubuntu (16.04) from a USB flash drive and then afterwards installing the newer (v. 18.04).

HP Recommended

I am using unetbootin, it's always what I use, I've never tried RUFUS.  I tried xubuntu 16 just now, no luck. This is on a differnent USB stick, this one also boots fine on my laptop. 

Thank you for your advice.

HP Recommended
I suggest sourcing another image from a different mirror and then trying Rufus.

What is there to lose?

Are you using the volume type your BIOS requires to boot from?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.