8 4 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP Compaq 8000 Elite won't boot from USB

HP Compaq 8000 Elite
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just obtained this computer with windows 10.  I am trying to boot a live USB drive and install linux, but it only seems to want to boot from the hard drive.  I can hit F9 to get the boot menu, and USB is listed, but when I select it, it just boots into windows from the hard drive. I tried disabling everything in the boot devices in bios except the USB, and it gives me the "non system disk or disk error" I have updated the BIOS to the latest version, still no luck.  I can't find any option to choose Legacy or UEFI.  The USB drive contains Xubuntu 18, and it boots fine on my laptop.  

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
47,112 41,364 4,515 11,830
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Which model of HP Compaq 8000 Elite is it?  There are a number of different formats.

In the BIOS, go to the Security tab  --> USB security to ensure that the USB ports you want to use are enabled.

I am not an HP Employee.
You can click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply was the information you were looking for that helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

#HelpStopTheSpread #PracticeSocialDistancing distancing
Highlighted
Level 1
8 4 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Product number:

LA014UT

All the USB ports are enabled in the BIOS.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I had a similar problem with a laptop that was formatted as a GPT volume.

Your desktop is an MBR volume type.

Are you using  RUFUS to create the bootable flash drive?

I had difficulty with the downloaded images. You might try a different mirror for the source.

What I ended doing was to install an older version of Linux Ubuntu (16.04) from a USB flash drive and then afterwards installing the newer (v. 18.04).

I am not an HP Employee.
You can click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply was the information you were looking for that helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

Highlighted
Level 1
8 4 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I am using unetbootin, it's always what I use, I've never tried RUFUS.  I tried xubuntu 16 just now, no luck. This is on a differnent USB stick, this one also boots fine on my laptop. 

Thank you for your advice.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I suggest sourcing another image from a different mirror and then trying Rufus.

What is there to lose?

Are you using the volume type your BIOS requires to boot from?

I am not an HP Employee.

Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation