Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq 8200 Elite CMT
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Trying to get system to boot to USB device, but am not given option to do so during cold/warm boot.  Tested usb device in other systems and it boots just fine.  How can I get it to at least ask if I want to boot to the usb?  I've tried the "Esc" key but the set that results seems to be set correctly.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

I checked the BIOS settings in mine, because I seem to recall having the same issue as you did.

On mine the USB flash drive shows up under the legacy boot sources under the SATA 0 (hard drive listing) in the boot menu.

In the BIOS make sure the removable media boot source option is enabled (under the boot options menu).

Make sure that legacy boot is enabled as well as EFI boot.

When you want to boot from a device, start the PC, tap the ESC key and then you get the menu of options.

Select the F9 boot options menu, and if the BIOS settings are the same as mine are, you should see the USB flash drive under the legacy boot menu.

HP Recommended

Flash drive is not showing in anywhere.  Can't seem to get that option to show at all.

HP Recommended

I'm sorry that I can't remember what I did to get the flash drive to show up.

I know I had the same issue.  I wanted to boot from the flash drive, and it didn't show up in the efi boot or legacy boot menu.  It still doesn't show up in my efi boot listing.  Just the legacy boot listing.

Then I messed around with some BIOS settings and there it was, and it has been there ever since.

I have two 8200 Elite CMT's and one had the flash drive show up, and one didn't.

And I could't figure out why the one worked and the one didn't.

But I checked my BIOS settings and legacy mode is enabled, removable media boot is enabled.

See what happens if you disable EFI boot and just have the legacy boot mode enabled.

I may have done that and got it to show up, and then enabled efi boot again.

Also...I am booting from the top usb port in front.  I never experimented to see if that matters.

HP Recommended

Don't see any way to disable EFI boot.  Don't see anywhere to enable legacy mode.

HP Recommended

See chapter 2, starting on page 8 for how to change the boot settings...Boot order...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04224518

HP Recommended

Thanks for the link Paul.  I will try that next Wednesday when I'm back on-site with those computers.

Dale

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Dale.

HP Recommended

Got all but 1 to play nice.  It simply ignores the USB boot choice.  It's configured exactly the same as the others, but when selecting the boot order at startup using F9, it does not recognize the USB source from any port.  I know the USB ports all work because I have accessed them from Windows Explorer successfully.

Oh well, guess I'll get back to it next time I'm on site.

Thanks for the help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry that you couldn't get that one to work.

You might want to try clearing the CMOS as a last ditch effort to troubleshoot.

See this guide for how to clear the CMOS.  Unplug and disconnect everything connected to it before proceeding.

Appendix B starting on page 63.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01516072

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.