Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq DC5700
Microsoft Windows XP

Hello there! I have an old HP Compaq DC5700 for playing my old games. It used to run on the integrated GMA graphics on the motherboard, however I upgraded to an ATI Radeon X1300 recently, for better performance in games released around 2005. It ran fine for a couple of weeks, however it started to not boot up, as in the screen remained black. I also used to always get a beep for a 'Microcode update error' immediately after pressing the power button, but even that wasn't sounded and the screen remained black. Today, however, I got a beep code: 6 beeps, which translates to, 'video card or graphics'. I took out the graphics card and plugged in to the motherboard's VGA slot. The beep code didn't occur, but the same black screen issue continued. I reinstalled the graphics card but to no avail, black screen issue continued. I'll try a new VGA wire soon, I'll post my results. The motherboard is an HP 0a60h, with an Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 installed, with 2 x 2 GB DDR2 RAM. It's probably not a power issue, as the fans seem to be running properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Was the x1300 you installed a PCIe x16 graphics card?

Because if it was, you most likely blew up the motherboard.

I'm surprised it worked at all.

Below is the link to the quickspecs for the dc5700.  See the graphics specs on page 25.

http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/HP_dc5700_DesktopPC_Specs.pdf

The slot that looks like a PCIe x16 slot is for a special DVI ADD2 Graphics card, which adds digital video support only.

This is the only video card you can install in that slot that looks like a PCIe x 16 slot.

https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Image-359301-003-Sil1364-Add2-N/dp/B00CA52632

HP Recommended

-deleted-

HP Recommended

Hello, Paul_Tikkanen

Nope, the version of the x1300 I have is PCI, I did my research on the motherboard beforehand. So it seems that's not the issue. I have another question too, if I replace the motherboard, will I have to reinstall Windows even if I keep the same hard drive?

HP Recommended

Hi:

If you replace the motherboard you will need to reinstall Windows because to Microsoft a new motherboard = a new PC.

That is unless you can use the product key on your PC's case to activate windows, if it hasn't been used before.

I think you would be better off buying a newer off lease HP business desktop for the same price of a replacement motherboard and a new operating system.

HP Recommended

Hey,

I found another old LGA 775 motherboard lying around, I'll just try that for the sake of it. Windows activation shouldn't be an issue, I'll manage that.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.