Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8300sff
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, so I have HP Compaq Elite 8300sff with BIOS version 02.05 and Windows 10 64-bit. I will upgrade my CPU from I5-3470 to I7-3770. I suppose that I need make a BIOS update to get the new CPU working. I tried to browse this forum but I got the feeling that there is no exact topic for this. Does someone have files and instructions for updating this PC? Also, could I try to use current bios?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Please see this discussion...

Solved: HP Elite 8300 Bios Update - HP Support Community - 7706091

I recommend that you use the F10 Setup flash method to update the BIOS, since the above files were not written for the Windows based flash on W10.

This is the safest and second easiest way to do it.

Run the first BIOS file (sp73099)..  An info page will open.  Read the instructions under the F10 BIOS setup section.

Startup Menu / F10 Setup BIOS Flashing

The HP Business Desktop systems provide a BIOS upgrade option through both the Startup Menu and the F10 Setup utility using the "Flash System ROM" feature.  Reboot the PC and press the Escape key to display the Startup Menu. Use the arrow keys to select Utilities, and then select the Flash System ROM option. Alternatively, reboot the PC and press F10 to access the BIOS Setup utility. In the File menu, select Flash System ROM.  Either method requires that removable media be present (USB storage or data CD) that contains the BIOS binary image file in the root directory. The binary image file can be found in the DOS Flash folder and is named xxx_MMmm.bin where "xxx" is the BIOS family, "MM" is the major version number, and "mm" is the minor version number.  To create a CD for updating the BIOS, use a blank CD-R or CD-RW disk on a system with a CD-RW or DVD+RW drive, and write the binary to the disk using any CD-burning software (Windows 7 and Vista support burning data CDs without additional software). If a BIOS Setup password has been set, the password will be required before being able to access the "Flash System ROM" menu. The user is notified when the process is completed.  The new BIOS code will not take effect until the PC is restarted.

View Contents of DOS Flash Folder

Open that folder and you will see the files contained therein.

There is a DOS Flash folder.

Get a USB flash drive.

Format it with the FAT32 file system.

Open the DOS flash folder and copy the file contents of that folder to your USB flash drive.  Just the files, not the folder.

Restart the PC.

Tap the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F10 Setup menu and press the enter key.

Select the File tab>Flash System ROM command.

Select the USB flash drive.

The PC should see the BIOS file on the flash drive.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

Then do the same thing for the second BIOS file (sp95971).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Please see this discussion...

Solved: HP Elite 8300 Bios Update - HP Support Community - 7706091

I recommend that you use the F10 Setup flash method to update the BIOS, since the above files were not written for the Windows based flash on W10.

This is the safest and second easiest way to do it.

Run the first BIOS file (sp73099)..  An info page will open.  Read the instructions under the F10 BIOS setup section.

Startup Menu / F10 Setup BIOS Flashing

The HP Business Desktop systems provide a BIOS upgrade option through both the Startup Menu and the F10 Setup utility using the "Flash System ROM" feature.  Reboot the PC and press the Escape key to display the Startup Menu. Use the arrow keys to select Utilities, and then select the Flash System ROM option. Alternatively, reboot the PC and press F10 to access the BIOS Setup utility. In the File menu, select Flash System ROM.  Either method requires that removable media be present (USB storage or data CD) that contains the BIOS binary image file in the root directory. The binary image file can be found in the DOS Flash folder and is named xxx_MMmm.bin where "xxx" is the BIOS family, "MM" is the major version number, and "mm" is the minor version number.  To create a CD for updating the BIOS, use a blank CD-R or CD-RW disk on a system with a CD-RW or DVD+RW drive, and write the binary to the disk using any CD-burning software (Windows 7 and Vista support burning data CDs without additional software). If a BIOS Setup password has been set, the password will be required before being able to access the "Flash System ROM" menu. The user is notified when the process is completed.  The new BIOS code will not take effect until the PC is restarted.

View Contents of DOS Flash Folder

Open that folder and you will see the files contained therein.

There is a DOS Flash folder.

Get a USB flash drive.

Format it with the FAT32 file system.

Open the DOS flash folder and copy the file contents of that folder to your USB flash drive.  Just the files, not the folder.

Restart the PC.

Tap the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F10 Setup menu and press the enter key.

Select the File tab>Flash System ROM command.

Select the USB flash drive.

The PC should see the BIOS file on the flash drive.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

Then do the same thing for the second BIOS file (sp95971).

HP Recommended

Thanks. Clearest instructions for now. Updated succesfully.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.