Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Desktop - M01-F0016
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone. I have an HP desktop M01-F0016 with:

• Erica2 motherboard
  • Acbel Poly Tech 180W power supply #PCH023 (Three leads from it: (2) 4-pin 12-volt for SYS_PWR & CPU_PWR and (1) 4-pin for PWRCMD
  • Cooler Master CPU fan # FA08025M12LPA (12v - 0.45A) (4 wires: black, red, yellow, blue)
  • (1) stick of 8G DDR4-2666 SD Ram
  • AMD Ryzen5 Processor
  • Windows Home 10, 64-bit
  • The computer is just over 1 year old so out of warranty.

Last Saturday we had a lightning strike close to the house. When i went to shut down my computer it was already off. The power strip didn't get damaged, but the computer shut off. It will not start at all. I replaced the power supply with a new one (no luck). I replaced the motherboard with a used one from eBay that I was told tested good (no luck). I tested the CPU fan off the board with 12v and the fan spins. I am baffled as to why when I press the power button, nothing happens at all. No power light on, no fans spinning, no attempt to boot, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. One last thought: I see many YouTube videos on "CPU fan spins for a second when power is turned on but then stops immediately." However, what I observe is that the fan doesn't spin when I push the power button, but spins very briefly a couple seconds after I pull the power cord from the power supply. This is strange to me! ???Help???

Thanks again for any help. Ed

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I am guessing there is something wrong with the memory or the CPU.

If you attempt to boot the motherboard with no memory it should beep assuming it has a speaker.  Possibly blinking light on numlock or some led indication of a problem.  If no beep and you have a speaker then the CPU possible has the problem.

Did you get an exact match erica2 motherboard with the B550A chipset?   That  is what the M01-f0016 has according to spec I read somewhere.

What Series Ryzen 5 do you  have?    The reason ask is it is not clear from this chart if the Ryzen 3000 series works with the B550 chipset if there is NO graphics card

https://www.amd.com/en/chipsets/b550

AMD does not distinguish between 550a and 550 AFAICT

If you look at that chart, the Ryzen 3000 series with Radeon (Vega) graphics is not supported. One would have to use a discrete graphics board.

Possibly the chart is wrong, out of date, or I am misinterpreting the what is shown.

You might check the CPU and the socket to makes sure there is no pin damage or heat sink compound or corrosion.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. I am going to try starting without memory stick and see what happens. I will also pull the CPU and check the pin thought. The motherboard I got is an exact match, but it was used and who knows if it really worked before someone sold it to me. I'll keep you and the forum posted on my progress. Thanks again. Ed

HP Recommended

Well here  I am still having the same problem after replacing the motherboard for a second time. This one is also used, but was said to have been pulled from a working PC. The same problem: Press the power button and nothing. Tested the power supply again and I'm getting 12v DC on system power and cpu power connectors. One thing I noticed is that when I disconnect the system power connector from the motherboard and then reconnect it, the cpu fan jumps like it is going to start, but it doesn't. Also, when I unplugged the system power connector the power supply fan started to run. Plug it back into the motherboard and the power supply fan stops. I don't know if this is normal or not.

I don't know what to do from here. No beeps indicating trouble and no booting to BIOS either. I tried removing the memory and also changing it to the second slot. Any thoughts anyone?

HP Recommended

This seems to point to failure of components moved from old system to new one.  It could also be something unusual or unsuspected.

Take motherboard out of case, if possible, to do your testing.  Remove the small m.2 board and all other devices like drive and dvd. Verify there is no metal screw or metal debris or part of the metal case  (?) that is touching the underneath of the motherboard.  Look for a fan cable that you might have plugged into the wrong connector or backwards.

Look at all the connectors on the motherboard with a magnifier for a pin that is smushed flat or bent to where it does not make a connection.  Look at the connectors on the cable to see if they were pushed back and cannot make a good contact when connected.

Examine the memory sticks.  Take a rubber eraser and clean the contacts.   Borrow another memory stick or loan yours out to test on another system.

With the CPU cooler off the CPU,   Put a finger or two on it and see if it gets hot after turning on.  It should warm up quickly so be prepared to quickly turn off the power.

Cant think of anything else to try.

HP Recommended

Hi Beemer Biker. I tried the things you mentioned, but no luck. I did buy a used Ryzen 5 cpu and installed it. The computer cpu fan, case fan, and dvd player do work now and I have a blue led light on when the computer is turned on. Still not able to get the monitor working. It does work because I just hooked it to my laptop and it displayed my laptop screen via a hdmi cable. I can't get the computer to boot to the bios either. I tried numerous times with f2, f10, esc, and any other combination I could think of, No luck getting into the bios.

Any other thoughts? Thanks again, Ed

HP Recommended

What version ryzen did you get?  Does it have an APU? if not  you will need a video card

https://websuggestion.com/does-amd-ryzen-have-integrated-graphics/

HP Recommended

The cpu is a Ryzen 5 3400G with built-in graphics. It is the same cpu that it had originally. To date: new power supply; swapped out motherboard with two used motherboards (same as original: HP Erica2), and swapped out cpu with a used one. Continues to have a problem with entering BIOS (doesn't enter BIOS on boot when pressing "esc, del, f1, f2, f3..............f12. Remove single stick RAM and get beeps (3 long, 2 short). Switch RAM to 2nd slot and no difference. Remove NVMe ssd and no beeps/no monitor. I have the motherboard out of the computer case to address any possible shorting issue, but nothing changes for the better. The monitor, keyboard, and mouse all work because I hooked them to my laptop and they work. I pulled the 3v battery and cleared the CMOS with the jumper pins and nothing changes.

Questions:

• What key press do you use to enter the BIOS on a HP Erica2 motherboard?
  • Would a bad hard drive (SK hynix BC501 NVMe 256GB) keep the computer from booting into the BIOS?
  • Would a bad RAM stick keep the computer from booting into the BIOS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This has been going on for several weeks now and it is frustrating. Thanks again for any help 🙂 Ed

HP Recommended

ESC gets to the HP diagnostic app and to BIOS where F10 gets the BIOS.  If you press too soon you will have to power it off and back on as it is tricky.

Bad hard drive generally causes problem with with the OS.  Either cannot boot or files on the drive cannot be loaded due to bad sector causing all types of windows errors.  This will not stop the system from booting into BIOS unless the drive had a dead short that causes the power supply to shut down.

Possibly the system may be able to load a memory tester. 

https://www.memtest86.com/

If the (any) small part of memory that is good is available to run memtest86 then it may load.

I suspect pressings ESC to get the diagnostic to run is more likely to to work than memtest but you can try.

Does not look promising.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.