Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello Community!

I have a HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF PC which does not power on at all. I figured the power supply had failed so I ordered an HP replacement and when I installed the new power supply, the computer would still not start after installing the new power supply. So now I'm thinking that either power switch/LED assembly is hosed (unlikely) or the motherboard is fried (most likely).

My question is how do I validate what the issue is without ordering a new switch/LED assemply or a new motherboard? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Shahir Ahang

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply. Turned out to be the motherboard. I had 1 month left on the warranty so HP came out and swapped out the motherboard and everything was ok.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi Shahir_Ahang

Was this PC subjected to any power surges or power failures lately? The power supply could have failed and damaged the motherboard (MB) and components connected to the MB.

I usually swap components one by one using known good replacement parts until you reach the motherboard.

I also use a spare reset switch I removed from a different PC. Short the power switch pins on the motherboard front panel header using the spare reset switch to see if the PC will boot.

Clean all fans and heatsinks with compressed air. Double check power supply connections to the motherboard. Inspect the motherboard for bulging or leaky capacitors or signs of thermal damage.

Try starting the PC with only a monitor connected. Try a different graphics card or onboard graphics if you have a discrete card installed in the board.

Disconnect all SATA drives. Remove all memory. Then try to start the PC after each modification to see if you get any error messages.

Try each stick of RAM in each memory slot. Try good replacement RAM.

No change in behavior to this point would suggest the motherboard has failed. CPU's are less likely to fail unless you have fried the processor.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply. Turned out to be the motherboard. I had 1 month left on the warranty so HP came out and swapped out the motherboard and everything was ok.

HP Recommended

The easiest way is to remove the front faceplate and use a pair of needlenose plires and GENTLY operate the wswitch making sure that after you depress the button you gentely pull it out.  That will allow the computer to power on.  

The other thing you can do is locate the connector on the mother board and short across the two white wires from the switch

HP Recommended

Hey, I think this is manufacturer problem, one of mine has stopped working, and has i thought i'm not the only one with this problem... well i don't have warranty and i have more 19 of these. This one was the first of VGA stopped working from nothing and now is dead... I have another that VGA stopped too and i think it will happen the same has this...

HP, what's wrong with your MB's????

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.