Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Desktop TP01-2165z
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi,

I just received my new Pavilion TP01-2165z desktop and is working fantastic but I am having trouble setting up the BIOS boot sequence so that I can have the DVD drive be the first order of boot before the Windows 11 OS in the SSD. I have booted the pc and pressed F10 to get to the BIOS setup, moved the DVD drive up above the SSD as the first order of boot and saved the change. The problem is when I insert a bootable live disk into the DVD the pc does not boot from the DVD first but instead goes directly to Windows 11 on the SSD. Am I missing an extra switch in the BIOS that sets the boot sequence? Any help from the community would be appreciated.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

If you plan on booting from the DVD a lot, I recommend that you leave secure boot disabled.

Otherwise, you will have to go into the BIOS and disable secure boot every time you want to boot from the DVD.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

On these new PC's, the Windows boot manager will always have the PC boot from Windows first, no matter what order you place the bootable devices in the BIOS.

To boot from the DVD, you will need to press the ESC key when you turn on or restart the PC, select the F9 boot options from the menu, and from that select the DVD drive and press the Enter key.

Then the PC should boot from the DVD drive.

HP Recommended

Paul

Thanks for your reply but I am still having trouble booting my pc from the DVD drive. When I press ESC at pc startup and then F19 the following screen appears.

UEFI Boot Sources

OS Boot Manager

Windows Boot Manager  (KPG40ZNV25LG KIOXIA)

Boot From EFI File

Clicking on the 'Windows Boot Manager  (KPG40ZNV25LG KIOXIA)' just boots the Windows 11 OS

Clicking on the 'Boot From EFI File' forces me to enter my Microsoft Password and set up a PIN which then just boots the Windows 11 OS

Am I doing something wrong of is there another step to boot the DVD drive?

Of note, re-booting the pc and then pressing F10 to the BIOS screen still shows the booting sequence for the DVD as fist boot above the OS boot. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You may have to disable secure boot in order to boot from a DVD drive.

See this link for more information.

HP PCs - Cannot Start Desktop Computer From a Bootable CD or DVD (Windows 😎 | HP® Customer Support

On some of my PC's I get an EFI DVD boot option, but I guess that is not happening for your model.

HP Recommended

Paul

Thanks again for providing the method of booting a pc from the DVD drive. After I read the instructions from the link you provided, I have a question about Step 3 of the instructions as I copied from the link below.

Step 3: Restore default BIOS settings

When you have finished using your bootable CD or DVD, restore the default BIOS settings. This enables Secure Boot and sets the Windows Boot Manager as the primary boot device.
  1. Turn on the computer and immediately press the F10 key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Computer Setup Utility opens.
  2. Under the File menu, use the down arrow key to select Apply Defaults and Exit, then press Enter.
    The computer starts Windows with the default settings.

Question: Does this imply that if you do not restore the Secure Boot in the BIOS setting that the pc will forever boot from the DVD drive only for subsequent  turn on or re-starting the pc? I would think that with a DVD removed from the drive that the pc start would roll to the next booting sequence I have set up in my pc which is the OS. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

If you plan on booting from the DVD a lot, I recommend that you leave secure boot disabled.

Otherwise, you will have to go into the BIOS and disable secure boot every time you want to boot from the DVD.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.