Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since updating Windows 10 this past week, it has been impossible (save for one time) to boot into normal mode Windows 10 with this desktop.  It was only purchased within the past month and I did upgrade the memory to 16 GB with the exact same type of 8 GB memory it came with (Samsung) and it registered and worked flawlessly.  Primarily the problem was after this Windows update which apparently caused the symptom of booting to a faded black screen (My login screen is just my user name as I do not use a password), never seeing the login screen.  I was successfully able to get to safe boot consistently.  The monitor (also HP) has never been a problem as I switch between 2 PCs to it and still can).

Initially I eventually was able to get back to the normal boot and it appeared that the Radeon dedicated vid card rolled back to some 2017 drivers date.  The one time I was able to get back into normal boot I did set a restore point after I updated the above vid card drivers to a 2018 date.  I do not have a backup image, but I have recently backed up my data.  Honestly to this point I have lost track of the steps and symptoms I've encountered in order. 

The more intensive problem happened when I noticed soon after the above Radeon driver update, that upon going into the devices list, I noticed an exclamation mark next to the integrated Vega video card driver, so I though I would uninstall the device (there is no "uninstall driver") and reinstall, hoping this would occur automatically.  I figured that minimally I have the Radeon dedicated video card to utilize as it was working fine with the 16 GB of RAM.  The device began to boot into a faded black screen again.  Except this time I could not boot into safe mode either.

What I have done to mainly trouble shoot after scouring the internet and these boards here has included:

1. ctrl-alt-delete at the blank screen (no response)
  2. Checking the App Readiness service, which remained off with a manual start (you cannot change the state of this in safe boot)
  3. Apply SP81965 (but again, can only apply from safe mode); there was another SP fix, but I've since lost that number -- regardless, neither had an effect.
  4. While in Safe Boot, unchecking the App Readiness service from msconfig and rebooting
  5. None of the built in HP fixes work

Presently my computer is apparently back to factory restore and I can get into Safe Boot Mode w/ networking; I've tried this with keeping the 16 GB of RAM in as well as taking the 2nd added stick out, but I really don't think the RAM is the issue here at all as the screen shows, after hitting the F11 key repeatedly, 2 - 8 GB memory readings in the upper left corner as well as in properties for "This PC". Presently, I've kept the 2nd added stick in.

Addendum:  I have since tried to do a factory reset again, this time with no ethernet cord connected; same results.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@daflyboys

Greetings!

Welcome to the HP Community. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries. I have reviewed your post and I understand, the computer is booting to safe mode since the updates.

Appreciate you trying the troubleshooting steps. I'm here to help! To better assist you - Have you tried a new user account? If you have not, let's try that -

1) Tap the Windows icon.
2) Select Settings.
3) Tap Accounts.
4) Select Family & other users.
5) Tap "Add someone else to this PC."
6) Select "I don't have this person's sign-in information."
7) Select "Add a user without a Microsoft account."
8) Enter a username, type the account's password twice, enter a clue and select Next.
9) Tap the Windows icon.
10) Select the User icon at the upper left corner of the Start menu.
11) Select the new user. You'll then sign into your account with your password from step 8.

If the issue still persists, please try a system recovery -

1) Shutdown the computer. 
2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears. 
3) Press F11 once for System Recovery. 
4) Choose the Keyboard Layout. 
5) Click on Troubleshoot. 
6) Go to Recovery Manager and click on System Recovery. 

Note : System Recovery will delete everything that you had saved or installed on the computer.  

Let me know how that goes.  

To thank us for our efforts to help you, click here to access your public post and Select - "Accept as solution" and click on the purple "Thumbs up".

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.