Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
RP5800
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to get into the BIOS of my RP5800 and it keep asking for a Setup password.

I looked online and found there is an E49 jumper on my system board that can reset that password, so I followed the instructions and pulled it out, waited 10 seconds, then plugged it back in.  I did it twice, but I still cannot get into the BIOS.  It keeps asking for an administrator password.

I also tried resetting the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery waiting 30 minutes and plugging the battery back in.  That didn't work either.  Is there any other way to reset the Setup password?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't believe the instructions in the service manual are completely correct.

There is no waiting period.  With the jumper removed, you power on the PC and the P/W should be cleared.

Then you shut down the PC and replace the jumper to its original position.

If removing the P/W jumper and turning on the PC with the jumper removed did not clear the P/W, then someone set the stringent security BIOS setting which prevents removing the P/W jumper from clearing the P/W.

A new motherboard is the only way resolve the issue.

The standard BIOS P/W removal procedure for almost every HP business PC that I know of is set forth in the link below, Appendix B, page 59.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01162207

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't believe the instructions in the service manual are completely correct.

There is no waiting period.  With the jumper removed, you power on the PC and the P/W should be cleared.

Then you shut down the PC and replace the jumper to its original position.

If removing the P/W jumper and turning on the PC with the jumper removed did not clear the P/W, then someone set the stringent security BIOS setting which prevents removing the P/W jumper from clearing the P/W.

A new motherboard is the only way resolve the issue.

The standard BIOS P/W removal procedure for almost every HP business PC that I know of is set forth in the link below, Appendix B, page 59.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01162207

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply.  You were 100% correct.  I misread the instructions about when to replace the jumper.  After I remove the jumper and booted the PC, I was able to get into the BIOS.  Then, I replaced the jumper.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You did not misread the instructions. 

You followed the instructions in your PC's service manual, which were incorrect.

It was due to no fault of your own that you could not originally clear the P/W.

Here is exactly what the instructions state from the rp5800 manual...

5. Remove the jumper from the header.
6. Replace the jumper.  This step is out of sequence.
7. Replace the access panel.
8. Reconnect the external equipment.

9. Plug in the computer and turn on power. Allow the operating system to start. This clears the
current passwords and disables the password features.

Replace the jumper should have been here.

Here is what it should have been (which worked) from the troubleshooting guide I posted.

4. Remove the jumper from pins 1 and 2.

5. Place the jumper on either pin 1 or 2, but not both, so that it does not get lost.

6. Replace the computer cover or access panel.

7. Reconnect the external equipment.

8. Plug in the computer and turn on power. Allow the operating system to start. This clears the current passwords and disables the password features.

9. To establish new passwords, repeat steps 1 through 4, replace the password jumper on pins 1 and 2, then repeat steps 6 through 8. Establish the new passwords in Computer Setup. Refer to the Computer Setup (F10) Utility Guide for Computer Setup instructions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.