Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Touchsmart 520-1047C
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Screen immediately appears with message. Treid booting from CD, using F2 and F10 after turning PC on, nothing works

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After stepping through the HP Troubleshooting guide for the model (https://support.hp.com/us-en/products), I got to the point where I was going to try opening the back of the PC, removing and checking hard drive (with a USB to SATA/IDE Hard Drive Adapter and a laptop), I disconnected it, walked PC 20 feet to table with blanket, sat it down face first. But then remembered I forgot to check if I had removed the CD. So I returned PC to office, plugged in power cord, turned on PC to see if CD was in it but THIS TIME THE COMPUTER STARTED SUCESSFULLY! 

Seems to be OK now. One final note, about a year after I bought it I returned it to HP under warranty for I think a similar reason. They returned it with a note that NO DEFECT WAS FOUND. PC appeared to be OK. 

A year later it happened again and went back to HP a second time. This time they replaced the motherboard and memory, under warranty. I wonder if all three occasions were the same problem. 

My only guess as to the cause is something somewhere is either not seated right or loose but it not like the PC ever gets moved or travels anywhere. 

Wary to purchase an HP next time.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi

If nothing works, then perhaps a new PC.

However if you have tried to boot from a DVD/CD and were unsuccessful, I would remove/unplug the HDD and then adjust the BIOS from/to Secure Boot/Legacy Boot.

Change the boot order, and then try again.

The above should mean that the opening screen and subsequent key presses are now different.

You can also try a different boot DVD, like this....

BIOS boot order and SECURE/LEGACY options may need changing.

So that if you can break the cycle of "nothing works" to a usuable screen, then add back the HDD.

If it all goes wrong again, please ask for more help.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply...I will try removing HDD but noy sure I understand "and then adjust the BIOS from/to Secure Boot/Legacy Boot." part. I'm guessing that means to try powering up PC without HDD and see if I can get the BIOS screen. Is that right?

HP Recommended

Hi

Not exactly, sometimes the DVD wont boot because it is excluded from the secure boot ethos.

It will boot if the BIOS is set to Legacy boot, then the boot order is amended to make it first in the list.

HP Recommended

After stepping through the HP Troubleshooting guide for the model (https://support.hp.com/us-en/products), I got to the point where I was going to try opening the back of the PC, removing and checking hard drive (with a USB to SATA/IDE Hard Drive Adapter and a laptop), I disconnected it, walked PC 20 feet to table with blanket, sat it down face first. But then remembered I forgot to check if I had removed the CD. So I returned PC to office, plugged in power cord, turned on PC to see if CD was in it but THIS TIME THE COMPUTER STARTED SUCESSFULLY! 

Seems to be OK now. One final note, about a year after I bought it I returned it to HP under warranty for I think a similar reason. They returned it with a note that NO DEFECT WAS FOUND. PC appeared to be OK. 

A year later it happened again and went back to HP a second time. This time they replaced the motherboard and memory, under warranty. I wonder if all three occasions were the same problem. 

My only guess as to the cause is something somewhere is either not seated right or loose but it not like the PC ever gets moved or travels anywhere. 

Wary to purchase an HP next time.

HP Recommended

It happened again!!!

key facts:

Discovered PC did not enter sleep mode one morning (screen was on). Signed out users and shut pc down.

Later, when turned on, got blue screen with HP logo and “enter ESC...” Message. 

Tried all troubleshooting steps over next few days,  incl booting from cd & usb (bios is set to do that).

Moved pc to open back but returned it to check the cd was taken out and PC BOOTED OK when powered on this time.

Worked fine up to point where I again signed out users and shut it down. 

This time noticed message popped up about a memory problem too quickly to get details. 

Again get blue HP screen and Press ESC message when turned on.

is “memory” problem likely to be in ram or on motherboard? Any suggestions on how to proceed?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.