Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion P7-1421 PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all,

First time posting here.  We have a P7 desktop (about 7 yrs old) that will not boot up today.  The system unit powers up but there is no communication to the display which powers up normally and gives a "no signal" message.  The normal blue light is on at the top front location on the cabinet, and the fan is running.  I have gone through the automated troubleshooter steps with no change.  Also, I have checked posts here and tried all of those steps with no solution.

My concern is after powering this unit up, I do not hear any of the normal sounds that go along with booting up Windows.  It seems like there is nothing happening there.

I should point out that the power button on this system has been a bit quirky for a while.  Sometimes we have to push it more than once to get power going, and it also can get weird when powering off the cabinet.  We can live with that, but the big concern is the boot up process simply will not initiate and run.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Just followed the Virtual Agent steps and it worked!  Here are the steps:

Shut down the computer, then disconnect the power cord from the rear of the computer.
Press and hold down the power button for at least 10 seconds, then release it. The power light indicator might turn on briefly then go out.
Reconnect the power cord, then turn on the computer to confirm if the issue is resolved.

I think I tried that process before and it didn't work, so I'm not sure why it worked today.  But, I am happy again - until this problem comes back.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@straysaverguy,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that the computer is not booting to Windows.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04718479

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for the reply, but prior to receiving it, I saw another post here about disconnecting the printer and speakers, powering up while hitting the escape key repeatedly, and then hitting F2.  This popped me into, if I recall correctly, a memory check and a hard drive check.  I ran both of those, and they found no problems.  The system then booted up normally to Windows.  So, I am a happy guy again.  😁

HP Recommended

@straysaverguy,

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello again,

Unfortunately, this problem is not fixed.  Two things have happened:

1.  Yesterday, when trying to get the system from coming back from sleep, it fails to react.

2.  Today, when I power it up, the light comes on at the top front part of the cabinet, but no further boot up action occurs.  So, I cannot hit F2 and get a response as before.

Please let me know what you think may be the problem.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@straysaverguy

Appreciate you trying the steps. I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Just followed the Virtual Agent steps and it worked!  Here are the steps:

Shut down the computer, then disconnect the power cord from the rear of the computer.
Press and hold down the power button for at least 10 seconds, then release it. The power light indicator might turn on briefly then go out.
Reconnect the power cord, then turn on the computer to confirm if the issue is resolved.

I think I tried that process before and it didn't work, so I'm not sure why it worked today.  But, I am happy again - until this problem comes back.

HP Recommended

I spoke too soon.  Even though everything booted up OK, and my normal Windows 10 home screen was visible, the system went into sleep mode before I could use it (less than 5 minutes) and would not come out of it - again.  Now, the previous work around does not work.  I guess I will leave it down again overnight and try again.  If it comes up again, are there other diagnostics I can run other than the memory and hard drive checks under F2?

HP Recommended

@straysaverguy,

I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.