Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
HP Recommended
te01-1011
Linux

Hello!

I have an old RTX 2060 that I want to throw into the 1011, so I did, since the hp psu didn't have a 8 pin pcie, I took a spare psu, and jumped the 24 pin and plugged that pcie into the gpu, otherwise, the system is untouched.

Without the gpu, the system boots fine, but with the GPU, the system refuses to boot or even show a screen on any output. The gpu is lit up, and it's working fine.

The gpu model is: MSI RTX 2060 gaming z 6G

Secure boot is disabled as well.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@JesseJ219 wrote:

Hello!

I have an old RTX 2060 that I want to throw into the 1011, so I did, since the hp psu didn't have a 8 pin pcie, I took a spare psu, and jumped the 24 pin and plugged that pcie into the gpu, otherwise, the system is untouched.

Without the gpu, the system boots fine, but with the GPU, the system refuses to boot or even show a screen on any output. The gpu is lit up, and it's working fine.

The gpu model is: MSI RTX 2060 gaming z 6G

Secure boot is disabled as well.

Tech power  up shows the RTX-2060 have a 450 watt recommended power supply and your TE01 has only 400

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06689705

It may possibly work.  It should have at least turned on.   Connect a monitor to the motherboard video and see if there is a bios setup to enable external video board.

You might ask for help here as a this TE01 was upgraded to 4070

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dv6509rbcU

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

I have a separate 500W PSU feeding power into the GPU only, nothing else. The GPU powers on, but theres no video from either one

HP Recommended

I assume you have something like this or you have removed the old power supply and are only using the 500 watt.

https://www.amazon.com/Ximimark-Adapter-Connector-Multiple-Add2PSU/dp/B07FCKYGWH

Some older motherboard cannot supply 75 watts into the PCIe x16 slot.  I was unable to find any documentation on your motherboard. Usually the spec provides a warning. That youtube video did not mention a problem with the motherboard.  You might ask over there for help.

HP Recommended

I have not, both are being used, the old one is still supplying the mobo, the CPU, and the drives. The new one is just supplying the GPU.

HP Recommended

The bridge is needed to ensure the grounds are connected and to prevent current flowing in the wrong direction when initially powered up.  The motherboard needs to turn on before the external power supply else damage to motherboard or gpu or both.

I recommend something like this to ensure the neutral and ground of both supplies are connected

https://www.amazon.com/Cablelera-Power-Extension-Splitter-ZWACPQAG-14/dp/B00FRODUR4

This does not take the place off the that bridge relay.  That is needed to ensure the external is not powered up first.

HP Recommended

At this point I think nabbing a cheap newegg mobo would be better, so I can support good ram and just move half the things over, thanks for trying at least

HP Recommended

@JesseJ219 wrote:

At this point I think nabbing a cheap newegg mobo would be better, so I can support good ram and just move half the things over, thanks for trying at least

te01-1011 even used goes for 600 USD and is a good system.  It has a built in license for windows 10 and probably supports windows 11 without using that Rufus cheat.

The last disk drive I bought from Newegg never arrived and the post office said I was scammed.  I have bought from Newegg since then but I look closely at reviews of the suppliers they use and only buy Newegg listed items.

HP Recommended

Yeah, I'm tempted to sell it and buy a nice server, it's being used for homeland right now, but aside from that it's not bad. I think I lost the windows license though, the boot drive died and I switched it for a good one

HP Recommended

If you log into your microsoft account the system should shows up with licensing (pro or home)

You can also install win11 and go to the microsoft store and get

showkeyplus

and use the key to activate windows.

Use this guide to put in win11 23h2 even on a system not blessed by microsoft

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Issues-upgrading-to-windows-11...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.