Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
QP801AA

I looked up the beep error codes on HP and saw that 8 beeps means corrupt BIOS / invalid ROM image. I've been trying to fix this for hours, I tried switching jumpers and removing the CMOS battery & putting it back in.

I bought this off eBay just to refurbish it, it was working fine and when I updated the BIOS, it froze the computer then shut off. I turned it back on and it gave me 8 beeps. After 8 beeps it does nothing..

Can someone please help me?

HP Pavilion HPE h8-1114 Desktop PC

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @ninjahd ,

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Barachiel is at your service.

I understand you are in need of support,

I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details:

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?

When was the last time it worked without these issues? 

In the meantime, please try the steps mentioned below:

Recovering the BIOS using key press combination

When you upgrade the BIOS on your PC, a copy of the previous BIOS version is stored in the HP_TOOLS partition of your hard drive. Many HP computers have an emergency BIOS recovery feature that allows you to recover and install the last known good version of the BIOS from the hard drive, as long as the hard drive remains functional. This emergency recovery feature is separate from the BIOS and is designed to work in the event of a catastrophic BIOS failure.

To recover an earlier version of the BIOS on your PC:

1. Turn off the computer.

2. With the computer off, press and hold the Windows logo key and the B key at the same time.

3. Still pressing those keys, press and hold down the Power button on the computer for 2 to 3 seconds, and then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows and B keys until the BIOS update screen is displayed or until you hear a beeping sound (usually 8 beeps).

The power LED light remains on, and the screen remains blank for about 40 seconds before anything appears on the display. You might also hear beeping sounds. Eventually, an HP BIOS Update screen displays and the BIOS update begins automatically.

Figure : HP BIOS Update screen

Photo of HP BIOS Update screen showing a progress indicator

If the HP BIOS Update screen displays, proceed to step 4.

If the HP BIOS Update screen does not display, do one of the following depending on the condition:

• Computer boots into Windows - The computer will boot into Windows if the power button and keys are released too soon. Repeat steps 1 through 4 above, holding the power button down for 2 or 3 seconds.

• Power LED light turns off - The computer will turn off if the power button is pressed and held down too long. Repeat steps 1 through 4 above, holding the power button down for between 2 and 3 seconds.

• After repeated attempts, the HP BIOS Update screen does not open - Your computer does not support this function or it has a hardware problem that is preventing the tool from opening. Contact HP using the Contact Supporttab at the top of this page.

4. After the BIOS is recovered, a Continue Startup button displays and a timer counts down. Click the Continue Startup button to restart the computer immediately. The computer will restart automatically when the timer reaches zero.

Figure : HP BIOS Update screen

Photo of HP BIOS Update screen showing a Continue Startup button
  5. When the computer restarts, a black screen appears with a message similar to the following:

A system BIOS Recovery has occurred.
    BIOS Recovery (500)
    Enter - Continue Startup

Press the Enter key to continue immediately or allow the computer to reboot automatically.

note:

After restoring the BIOS, if the computer repeatedly displays a message about the BIOS, go to the HP Drivers and Downloads page and enter the model name of your computer. Select your computer model from the drop down menu and then select your operating system. Select BIOS to upload the latest version of the BIOS.

6. After restarting, Windows may display a message stating that the computer was improperly shut down or that a boot problem was detected. Read and respond to the screens to continue.

Please reply with the details for further assistance.

Eager to help!

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

anyone able to resolve this , I still see no display, I doubt it taking key board commands.

my desktop:  HP Pavilion p7-1520t

I was updating BIOS while updating audio drivers and ran int this. while system is unusable anymore. can someone post if anything worked for them.

HP Recommended

I tried these steps like 10 times or more, no display. I am holding win+b keys till 8 beeps are done, after 8 beeps power button turns on stays on. there I am leaving the system untouched for 15 to 30 mins.  thats it nothing on display coming. any other steps to try?

HP Recommended

@devipatti

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

This sounds like hardware related issue with the computer as it's not booting up. 

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Note: Disconnect all the connected devices from the computer including power cord and try to turn it back on after few hours sometimes this fixes the issue. 

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Did you ever resolve your issue. Ours is doing same thing.  No response, just 8 normal beeps followed by 2 long and 2 short beeps.  Frustrating

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.