Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion TouchSmart 600-112
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My PC's original hard drive failed.  A Western Digital 1tb 5400rpm Green Caviar.  I replaced with a SeaGate Barracuda 1tb 7200 rpm drive.   Fired up and the install disc would not load.  Ran diagnotics and a clean bill for all devices including the new  Barracuda drive.  Then an error code BIOHD-3  "No Bootable Drives Detected" appeared , status "Warning"  Checked SATA cable for being installed correct into the drive  and tried again.  Same problem, same error code.

Question:  IS this model not compatable with a 7200 rpm drive?  

Question:  Should I return it and install the exact same as the original.  A WD 1tb 5400rpm Green Caviar?

Thanks for your support

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Do you have another CD/DVD drive you could try in it? Doesn't really even have to be installed if you can get the cables to reach. I have put a pc tower on it's side with CD/DVD drive laying on it to boot from a disc.:)

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

There really shouldn't be a problem switching from 5400rpm drive to 7200rpm- or even switching to a different brand. HP uses various brands in their machines. Hopefully you are simply getting the error because the drive is actually Not bootable till you get an OS installed.

Not sure what the problem is with Recovery Disc not booting. Are you following the procedure here?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01867418#AbT4

HP Recommended

Thank you for helping me.  After the 1st BIOHD-3 error  I shut down and powered up using the F9 key which put me into selecting start up device.   I choose the CD not HD.  I hit the ENTER key assuming that the WIN 7 O/S disc would then start with the CD drive not the HD drive.  I could hear the CD drive starting up then stop and then again.  It just continued as such with the screen asking for a bootable device, "TAP ANY KEY ".  Did a startup again and choose the diagnostic test and all devices checked out fine, including the CD.  Repeated the above with the same result.  

Thought the Win 7 disc may be defective and used my other systems Win 7 CD.  Same Result.  The Win 7 CD are offical MicroSoft WIN 7 CD's purchased from MicroSoft  and I know they both work as I recently used them on both my HP laptop and custom built Desktop replacing those systems C: drive hard discs.  Used these to test as the HP WIN 7 Install discs for this system our son cannot find.  Contacted HP to find out how to replace the original startup disc.  Incidentally I downloaded from the HP site all the drivers for this system.  Although  I need to some how download the Microsoft Touch pack for WIndows 7 driver.  

Am I missing something here?

The HP Pavilion All-In-One  Model 600-1120.  It is a i3 Intel processor with the 1 tb WD Green Caviar drive and is a 64bit machine 4 GB memory running WIN 7 SP1. Built 2011 COO China.  Purchsed by our son in 2011.  He Gave it to my wife last month.  Everything works fine, CD the system etc. Even downloaded some CD's to it with no problems. Then the original disc failed during a load of SKPE.   Tested HP diagnostics and was told as such.

What am I doing wrong?  This machine cannot just die like this or can it.  Traced the SATA cable to the mother board and made sure it is seated properly.  When opened i did a gentle blow out using my certified computer vacumn (Metropolitan Vacumn Cleaner Corp) .  Not much dust. 

Thanks for reading this

Chris 

HP Recommended

Hello, Chris again.   Could you please state the Recovery Disc procedure?   I believe I am.

Thanks and hope I am not confusing you.

HP Recommended

Do you have another CD/DVD drive you could try in it? Doesn't really even have to be installed if you can get the cables to reach. I have put a pc tower on it's side with CD/DVD drive laying on it to boot from a disc.:)

HP Recommended

Hello Cheryl,

Thanks  for your help.  I really appreciate you.    Since we talked I re-installed the new SeaGate HD.  I used the System Restore CD that I made before the original hard drive failed.    

I loaded the System Restore CD and the CD drive worked just fine.   So I have ruled out the CD drive questionable.

It said as I expected "Cannot find a System Image Disk on this Computer"  as the new HD has nothing on it and I never made a System Image Disk.         

Assumption:  do you think why the MicroSoft Win 7 install disk mentioned earlier did not read was becasuse it had already been installed on my HP laptop and an internal code was set to not allow another install on a different PC?  This is my take.   

How should I proceed?  Should I find a source such as MicroSoft to download Win 7 O/S and burn it to a CD? I already have the WIN 7 SP1 update on a CD. Or find a new never used Win 7 O/S install CD.

Thanks a mill Cheryl,

Chris

HP Recommended

Dear Cheryl,

Why are these PC things such a pain.   Since I last talked to you I resolved the problem using the BIOS.

SETTINGS F-10

1. Disabled both the CD and HD drives

2. Disabled the SATA connection

3. Saved and Exit.

Powered up and back to the Settings area of the BIOS

SETTINGS  F-10

1. Enabled CD & HD

2. Enabled the SATA connection 

Powered Down and then UP

Inserted my WIN 7 O/S install disk and it downloaded it all.

Configured the system and now doing Microsoft Updates and loading from a CD all the HP ALL-IN-ONE drivers to support this PC.

This is my first HP forum and cannot praise it enough.  Folks such as yourself helping others is so special and I

thank you for your support.  I do hope I can help others and that this FIND of mine helps others.   

Thanks Again Cheryl,

Chris

HP Recommended

Oddities of PC's abound and this is another of them. I suspect that for some reason the DVD function of the drive was not recognized/working but the CD function was. Hence the Restore cd booted but the Windows 7 dvd would not. CD/DVD drives use a different laser for each type disk and it is not uncommon for one laser to fail before another. Good to know your drive was only askew because of possible BIOS detection failure.

Thanks for posting with final success. I'm sure this may help someone else who comes looking for solution to a similiar problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.