Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi,

For the past week, whenever I would leave my laptop in sleep mode for a few hours or sometimes on startup as well, I get a message saying that there's no hard drive found on the laptop:

Boot device not foundBoot device not found

I tried running the Hardware Diagnostics (F2), with both, the quick and the extensive search, and both were unable to find the hard disk

I would really appreciate any help/pointers on what's causing this issue and how to fix it. Thanks 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That laptop is supported thru the HP Cloud Recovery Tool, so once the hard drive is replaced, go here with a working PC

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-15-bl000-x360-convertible-pc/13823372/mo...

Click on the "Software-HP Cloud Recovery " and follow the directions for the download to install back to factory.

Windows will need to update as it will be factory conditions of Windows.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

If the Hardware Diagnostics (F2) reports no hard drive, then the drive has most likely failed and needs to be replaced. That will mean after the hard drive is replaced, all the software and Windows needs to be reinstalled.

Since there is mo mention of model number or of Windows version, those item will be posted for better help.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the follow-up! The Windows version is  10.0.19041 Build 19041
and the laptop model is HP Spectre x360 - 15-bl003nf

Thanks

HP Recommended

That laptop is supported thru the HP Cloud Recovery Tool, so once the hard drive is replaced, go here with a working PC

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-15-bl000-x360-convertible-pc/13823372/mo...

Click on the "Software-HP Cloud Recovery " and follow the directions for the download to install back to factory.

Windows will need to update as it will be factory conditions of Windows.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I see. Thank you so much for your help.

HP Recommended

If for some reason you do not want or the HP Cloud Recovery Tool does not give you a satisfactory result, you can load a generic Windows 10 by making the Microsoft download of the Windows 10 media.  It will be the most recent version, too.

If you need the install media for Windows 10, you can make it from this Microsoft download

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

With a working PC, scroll down to the "Using the tool to create installation media"
and then follow the directions. You can make either the DVD or USB.
When the install asks for the product key, click the I don't have a product key option to continue,

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.