Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Prodesk 400 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Prodesk 400 G3 that I am replacing the hard drive with an ssd drive.  I am trying to get the device to boot from a usb with windows 10, but it will not.  I have gone into the bios, turned on legacy boot, turned off UEFI Boot, but the BIOS ignores my changes, and refuses to boot. So I need to get into the bios, turn off uefi boot, and turn on legacy boot, and have the bios accept the change, so how do I do that?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

I have never had to mess with Secure boot when booting to a Windows 10 USB stick.

Windows 10 installation media is signed by Microsoft. You should have no Secure boot problems.

I do "ESC" at boot. Then select "F9".

Then select the UEFI USB stick which contains the Windows 10 installation files.

The PC should boot to the Windows 10 USB stick. You should be able to install Windows in UEFI mode.

Regards

HP Recommended

You're not responding to my question. How do I turn off secure boot, and enable legacy boot, and boot from a USB stick.

HP Recommended

Hi CAPICINC,

Instructions can reviewed at this HP (Link).

You might want to look at a BIOS update. This (Link) shows a BIOS update for a Microtower (Don't know what you have) that fixed booting from USB problems.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.