Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

So my computer froze and I decided to manually shut it off. When I turned it back on the screen went black. What can be the probably cause and what kind of hardware would I need to replace?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

What can be the probably cause and what kind of hardware would I need to replace?

The probable causes are either a software "glitch" or a hardware problem.

Since it does not reboot, I would rule-out a software glitch.

So, your computer's main components that could cause a "black-screen" are:

1. power supply
  2. motherboard
  3. processor
  4. on/off button

Most probably, the video-screen, the RAM, the disk-drive and the CD/DVD device are OK. If you have a similar computer, you can remove these components and temporarily use them on that computer, to verify that they are OK.

Disconnect the power-cord from the computer. Remove one side panel. Press the on/off button. While watching the various fans inside the case, reconnect the power-cord. Do the fans "twitch"? Does any lamp on the motherboard light up? Press the on/off button. Do the fans start to spin? Is anything displayed on the video-screen, or does it stay "black" ?

Trying to replace the processor and/or the motherboard will be quite expensive. I recommend that you take your computer to a certified computer technician, rather than trying to do this by yourself.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.