Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Elite 8200

I own a HP 8200 Elite SFF and need to upgrade the BIOS to v 2.28 as I'm running into issues trying to install FreeNAS on it.

I've tried to place the update on a USB drive and then have the computer boot off of it, however that didn't work.

I've looked around and don't see clear instructions how to do this, is someone can provide them, that would be awesome.

Of if there is a way to load the BIOS update say from a Linux Live Disk, or if I can temporary install say Ubuntu or CentOS, that might work as well.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

As long as you have another PC with Windows, you can download and run the exe file.

An info page will open.  You follow the instructions under the F10 setup BIOS flash method.

At the bottom of the instruction page, there is a link to click on labeled 'View Contents of the DOS Flash Folder.

Get a USB flash drive.  Format it with the FAT 32 file system.

Copy the file contents from the DOS flash folder to the USB flash drive. Just the files, not the folder.

Plug the flash drive into the 8200 Elite SFF, turn the PC on, tap the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F10 setup option.

Select the File tab>Flash system ROM command.

Select the USB flash drive.

The PC will 'see' the files on the flash drive.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

No need to have an OS or even a hard drive installed to update the BIOS that way.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

As long as you have another PC with Windows, you can download and run the exe file.

An info page will open.  You follow the instructions under the F10 setup BIOS flash method.

At the bottom of the instruction page, there is a link to click on labeled 'View Contents of the DOS Flash Folder.

Get a USB flash drive.  Format it with the FAT 32 file system.

Copy the file contents from the DOS flash folder to the USB flash drive. Just the files, not the folder.

Plug the flash drive into the 8200 Elite SFF, turn the PC on, tap the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F10 setup option.

Select the File tab>Flash system ROM command.

Select the USB flash drive.

The PC will 'see' the files on the flash drive.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

No need to have an OS or even a hard drive installed to update the BIOS that way.

HP Recommended

Was able to upgrade.

thanks

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.